Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Where has the Jet Sweep Pass been?

+2 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
September 6, 2017 at 10:40am
37 Comments

I have the above video to start at one example of the play. But if you have the time to watch the whole video, there are several examples of it. 

Urban Meyer was asked about the "death" of the Jet Sweep Pass last year after the IU game and said that defenses have worked hard to stop the play. The above video is from 2014, which was the peak mentioned playcall. It begs the question, should Ohio State try to run this play more. In 2015, they ran it a few times to some success, but still way less than '14. Last year it was basically nonexistent. 

The talk during the second half of last season and all of the offseason has been trying to get the offense back to '14 form. So shouldn't they at least attempt one of the most staple plays from that season? It does require for Weber/Dobbins to be a great lead blocker, so maybe not having Zeke, who was a fantastic blocker, influenced the change as well.  But, Campbell seems like a good fit for it IMO and if Weber/Dobbins can block, I'd like to see the play tried. Let me know what you think! Go Bucks!

One last observation that I don't want to focus on because I think JT gets far more criticism than he should, but I would love to have the time to sit down and erase all of the yards/touchdowns/completions that came from that play in '14, because everyone reading this could execute that play, and it is essentially a running play. I have a feeling that his stats from 2014 that broke Drew Brees records and led to a 5th place Heisman finish, would be eerily similar to his stats from last season, which lead people to question if he is OSU's best option at QB. I'm not ragging on JT because I do think he is capable of leading our team to a title. However, I completely disagree with the notion that JT has regressed since his freshmen season. Far far far too many people rely on statistics to shape their perception of a player. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments