Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

On How I became a JT Barrett Apologist . . .

+57 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
September 4, 2017 at 10:13am
147 Comments

I didn't start this way. I had no plans to take up this cause. I didn't want this. Sometimes we don't get to choose the events of our times.

“'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'”

To be sure, I've always been a JTBIV fan. I love his "gamer" attitude - how he willed us to a Penn State win on a game & his leadership. But I've always accepted he's a great running QB, decision maker, and decent passer of the ball. Sort of like Tim Tebow or Craig Krenzel. I can honestly accept, for the most part, except against MSU 2014, JTB isn't throwing us to victory (unless we unlock that MSU 14 game plan again somehow).

Somewhere along the road, we stopped throwing slants to the unguardable Michael Thomas, Zeke didn't get the ball against Michigan State in 2015, our offense reverted to a Beatie Boys "slow and low tempo", our best receiver was a converted running back, and finally - our offense was pedestrian and embarrassing - demolished by Clemson - in the Siesta Bowl.  Some of the blame for that was laid at the feet of JTBIV - rightfully and wrongly. Many fans accepted the nuanced rationale: "it's complicated, it's a number of factors, everyone was off - from coaches to philosophy to players."  But many did not. They found their scapegoat: JTBIV.  

From JT...responding to fan criticism. http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt/JT-Barrett-responds-to-criticism-from-fans-51701543

Barrett had never been asked about criticism from Ohio State fans ... until Thursday.

Initially, Barrett laughed when asked about the negative comments from fans. Then he gave a long, thoughtful answer.

“It’s hard, I guess, to talk about that," he said, "But when I think about it, I always want to put my best foot forward as far as Ohio State. So, if they think I’m a bad player, I don’t know what you want me to say. I’m not trying to be. I’m trying to be the best I can be at Ohio State in order for us as Ohio State Buckeyes to win national championships, ballgames. That’s the purpose.

“So, if there’s somebody out there that’s better than me here at Ohio State, then they will be playing. But right now, I’ve been a starter for three years. Like, I’m doing the best I can. You know what I’m saying? Is it going to be perfect all the time? No. And being a quarterback, you get a lot of blame, which I’m OK with; I’m going to accept it. But also too, to understand that bad things are going to happen, and I feel like the best person for this job of the people we have at Ohio State.

“My whole heart is into it. This is all I do. I’m here to play football. I came from Texas and this is why I came. And so, it’s all in good nature, it’s not like I’m trying to mess up the Ohio State Buckeyes. Because I read it sometimes too and it was like I was the enemy; I was the bad guy. And I was like, ‘My guys, I’m not trying to do that to the Buckeyes; I love the Bucks.”

I think that having a starting QB who feels like much of our fan base thinkings he's the enemy or trying to mess up the Buckeyes is unacceptable. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and at 43 I care about the pressure these teenagers/young men face. 

There is a difference between critique and criticism - and I wonder where and why some seemed to have crossed the line.  I actually find most JTBIV supporters pretty measured in their praise and willing to note JTB's limitations. Some JTBIV detractors are willing to acknowledge his strengths too as they critique his weaknesses. There's evidence on both sides of this debate. I'd say that there's a more evidence as to why JTBIV is a good QB and should be the QB of Ohio State. And it appears Urban Meyer agrees. Are we so jaded and spoiled that we can't appreciate how good JTBIV is while accepting he's not Drew Brees or Peyton Manning?  Perhaps if we do, we can properly critique without criticizing.  

I'll sign off with this: JTBIV may not be the best QB to ever play the game, or even in OSU history. He has some limitations. He also has his strengths. Either way, he is OUR QB and the only 3-time Captain in school history. I am grateful for him. And that's how I became a JTB apologist and why I'll remain one. 

Go Bucks. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 147 Comments