Ohio State football fan talk.

Buckeye DB's in group chat w/ NFL DB's

+9 HS
Defiance's picture
August 17, 2017 at 12:37pm
13 Comments

So here's the official title:

How a star-studded group chat maintains Ohio State’s high standard at CB

Denzel Ward is looking to add his name to Ohio State's list of first-round cornerbacks

Without further ado and before I lose you, here's the scoop.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Denzel Ward’s phone buzzes, and odds are it’s a first-round NFL cornerback with another reminder of the tradition he’s in line to uphold at Ohio State.

Seems as though some of the DB's that have donned the Scarlet & Gray in recent years have been doing their best to help the newest Buckeye DB's uphold that fine tradition at tOSU.

Maybe it’s Bradley Roby checking in from Denver with some tips about playing with swagger. It could be Ward’s old running mates Gareon Conley in Oakland or Marshon Lattimore in New Orleans with updates about what how to handle business during training camp.

Or, like it was late last month, maybe it’s Eli Apple in New York.

Stop me if you've heard this one before (no really, I hope this one isn't one that was discussed and I missed it) but it seems as though the old adage of "Once a Buckeye, always a Buckeye" is more than a catchphrase for these guys. They take it to heart and continue to mentor the up and coming players trying to make a name for themselves in Columbus and uphold the tradition of #BIA.

With Ohio State having produced four first round picks since Kerry Coombs took over as defensive backs coach in 2012 and a staggering three first-rounders in the last two drafts, the standard in the meeting room is unmistakably clear for the cornerbacks.

Denzel Ward is the latest in a long list of players who have paid their dues and are now ready to take on the task of playing under Coombs in Columbus and showing why we like to think of these guys as #BIA.

Ward’s experience is a solid foundation, though, even with new faces lining up alongside him in Ohio State’s revamped secondary. And with Damon Arnette and Kendall Sheffield also receiving positive reviews from Coombs and some text messages from the next level, the tradition appears to be in good hands.

So while we will not see Roby, Apple, Lattimore or Conley at practice or lining up for tOSU on Saturdays any longer, they are actively ensuring that the legacy is in good hands and will continue to develop talent at the level we have all come to appreciate from Coombs in Columbus.

Here's a link for the read. Go Bucks!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments