Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Be the Buckeyes Offensive Coordinator, what's your plan?

+4 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
December 29, 2016 at 10:40am
121 Comments

I've been thinking of what I would do if I were Warinner/Beck/Meyer, and how I would deploy the offense.  I've come up with a few things I think I would do if I were in their shoes.

First off, we know the running game is where the game plan starts, and ends.  JT isn't going to come out in this game and all of a sudden be throwing it all over the field like Peyton Manning.  We know what his limitations are as a passer, and there is no need to drudge all that back up.  We also know that, even though he's not a prolific passer, he's efficient, and the game plan will revolve around him, and he will make good decisions in the run game.

What I would do is flip the usual narrative on it's head a little bit.  Rather than have Weber in as the feature back, I'd use Samuel as the feature back and make Weber the "change of pace" back.  I would use Barrett and Samuel to start the game using options, both the read option, and option runs to the outside.  I would use Samuel's speed to try and get him to the corners and make it so the defense has no choice but to respect that and start cheating outward.  Make it so the safeties and OLBs have to move outside of the ends to try and contain those runs. 

Then I would deploy Weber and run the option game up the middle.  If the defense chooses to respect the outside run with Weber in and leaves the second level to just one LB, Weber can pound it down his throat, if they see Weber and assume runs up the middle, JT can take it to the corner and rip off a big run to the outside.

I think this game plan makes our WRs do the one thing they do more consistently than any other WR unit in the country... Block.

This also sets up layers of the triple option (assuming our line can sustain blocks and pick up blitzes) where you can flank Weber and Samuel to either side of Barrett, give the ball to Samuel to take it outside, unless it isn't there, give it to Weber to smash it down the center, unless that isn't there, and the third option be let JT find a crease to the outside and rip off some yardage.  There is no way Clemson can cover both corners and have the middle of the field defended enough to keep us from getting into the second level on every down.

I think this also sets up great options in the play-action passing game.  Fake the handoff to Samuel and have him take off to the outside on a wheel route, that play will work a few times, then when they commit a DB to cover him in the flat, that should set up a mismatch down the field with Brown.

Just my thoughts, that's how I would game plan the offense.  What say you?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 121 Comments