Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Objective Observations on The Game

0 HS
Buckeye_Empire40's picture
November 25, 2016 at 5:00pm
19 Comments

It is easy for all of us to say, I think, that we look at Ohio State football through Scarlet-colored glasses. I have seen a lot of optimism on this board, which is always a great thing for a fan base. However, lest we become too complacent nor too optimistic on The Game. Admittedly, looking at a Buckeye game objectively is, ahem, *tough* for me, whereas others seem to do a great job on this board. Nonetheless, my un-biased* thoughts on The Game. 

1. The Buckeyes will not cover the spread (6.5-7.5): This is going to be a tight win for the Buckeyes, provided that they win. This will be a game of field goals and turnovers, not of touchdowns galore. A 14-13/21-20 game would be much more likely than 42-39.

2. Ohio State's O-Line will struggle. Mightily. It is no question that the Buckeye Offensive Line has had a rough year, to say the least. Michigan potentially has the best Defensive Line in the country, and they will expose the Buckeyes. Expect JT Barrett to get dropped in the backfield. A lot. 

3. Michigan's O-Line will struggle. You know how I said Michigan might have the best Defensive Line in the country? Yeah, the Buckeyes might have something to say about that. Speight/O'Korn will have to deal with a mighty Silver Bullets squad that is out for blood. 

4. Jabrill Peppers will have a breakout play, but not a good game. Peppers will have a big touchdown for TTUN early on a broken play. However, for most of the game will be shut down by the Buckeye defense, and exposed by JT Barrett. 

5. Each team will turn the ball over twice. Speight/O'Korn will get intercepted a couple of times, and the Buckeyes will muff a punt and fumble the ball near the goal line.

6. Both offenses will struggle to move the ball, but no need to blame the playcalling. I think we can all agree that last week's playcalling, and playcalling in the past was atrocious. However, Urban has done a good job of commanding the offense during The Game, and he will continue that tomorrow. But the Buckeyes and Wolverines will both run into the same problem. No matter how good the playcalling, each team has a hell of a defense. 

7. Cam Johnston will run a fake punt. No, this isn't just wishful thinking. How many times have we seen Cam go for the rugby style punt, and nobody rushes? The Aussie could WALK for a 1st Down. I think Urban will turn the boy loose on a crucial 4th down. 

8. Tyquan Lewis: Player of the Game. Lewis will hit Speight/O'Korn over and over again. The guy is a monster, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan key on Hubbard/Bosa/McMillan. I can see Lewis having a field day in the Michigan backfield because of this.

Final Score: Toss up. This game will be decided by a field goal or a critical turnover late in the game. I either go with 24-20 Michigan due how much more experience they have, or 21-20 Buckeyes based on simply having more talent and Urban Meyer.

This is going to be a fun one boys. Go Bucks

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments