Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

1919 Ohio State vs TTUN (our first of many victories)

+6 HS
Il_Padrino's picture
November 21, 2016 at 4:34pm
10 Comments

1919 Ohio State vs. Michigan.  Our FIRST victory over TTUN.  

Prior to 1919 the Buckeyes had not fared so well and had lost 13 games and tied twice.  Since 1919 “The Rivalry” has Ohio State vs. Michigan nose to nose with OSU posting 46 victories, UM 45 victories, while sharing four ties.  Chic Harley made a huge impact in the game by intercepting four passes and scoring all points on offense.  Following the Buckeyes' 13-3 win, the legendary Michigan head coach Fielding H. Yost asked for and was granted a rare moment to address the Ohio State team and stated "You deserve your victory, you fought brilliantly.  You boys gave a grand exhibition of football strategy and while I am sorry, dreadfully sorry, that we lost, I want to congratulate you. And you, Mr. Harley, I believe, are one of the finest little machines I have ever seen."

Chic Harley made such an impact that someone wrote his name on the front of the program (that is not Chic in the photo, as this was at UM).

I present my 1919 Ohio State vs. Michigan Program and Tickets:

Going in line with the 1919 items above and another item that I have never seen before: 1919 Michigan season ticket mailing packet. 

This came by way of the family an early aviator who must have been a fan of TTUN (Michigan) and was on their season ticket ordering mailings.  The poor gentleman died in an aviation crash in the fall of 1919. 

What is really great about this group is that it shows several things about The Rivalry between OSU and UM, in that it was not yet a rivalry.  In fact the Minnesota vs Michigan game was played last on Nov 22nd and the ticket prices were much higher than the Oct 25th game with Ohio State. 

The 1919 season marked the first Ohio State win over Michigan and since 1919 The Rivalry = Ohio State has 47 victories, Michigan has 45 victories, and they share 4 ties. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments