Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Should the B1G guarantee its conference championship game includes the two best teams?

+4 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
November 14, 2016 at 5:24pm
111 Comments

The Big 12 may have stumbled on to something with their 2017 championship game. Their top two teams will face each other at the end of the season, guaranteeing that one of the two best teams from their conference will represent their league in the 4 team CFP, should they make the playoff.

That actually seems like a wise move on the Big 12's part, rather than going back to two divisions. They get a championship game, but it's not going to ever include an inferior team that got lucky to be there. And it makes their conference less likely to be embarrassed on the national stage by sending an inferior champion to the playoff (cough, cough 2015 MSU, cough). 

In this year's scenario, the two best teams in the B1G won't even play for the B1G championship, let alone represent the conference in the CFP (if they only take people who win their leagues). 

I like the idea of the two best teams in a conference playing for the conference championship.

I'd like to see strength of schedule and overall record matter more, if we keep the current structure. 

Of course, this is on my mind because I'm totally a homer Ohio State fan and can't fathom being the second best team in the country is left out of a shot at the conference championship and/or national title hunt because of having to play back-to-back road night games against teams who had two weeks to prepare for us. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 111 Comments