Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Thoughts: Zach Smith isn't to blame for lack of Wide Receiver Production

+9 HS
Becool12's picture
October 23, 2016 at 7:11pm
113 Comments

As a Buckeye fan, I have lived through years of prolific wide receivers as well as so-so wide receivers. This year, we seem to think our players have severely regressed in terms of production. I think some are too quick to blame Zach Smith for the pack of production. Yes, he is the wide receiver coach and it is techbically his job to get those players ready for Saturdays. But, I look at our group of receivers and notice that  there are hardly any wide outs. We can go down the list and count on a single hand how many of those players actually played wide receiver in high school. We have a group full of athletes and about 3 true wide receivers on our entire team. Noah Brown, Terry McLaurin, and Parris Campbell were all high school running backs. Curtis Samuel and Dontre Wilson are also hybrids. so, that means when we are running these 5 wide sets we don't have a single true wide receiver on the field. If we had the offensive line to support running 5 "go" routes every passing down, we would be better than Bama. But, we don't. Unlike other wide receiver coaches we've had in the past, Zach Smith isn't having to teach a wide receiver how to craft his game, he's having to teach a bunch of players the basics of being a wide receiver. He is tasked with taking a group full of high school running backs and making them learn how to play without the ball in their hands. This is an incredibly difficult job, especially at Ohio State. Don't get me wrong, I think our wide receiver production is a huge problem. In reality it is a problem that doesn't start on the practice field and end on the game field. It starts on the high school fields on friday nights and which players we recruit.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 113 Comments