Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Offensive alignment - 2 WR on LOS

+3 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture
September 19, 2016 at 3:24pm
15 Comments

I noticed a couple times during the game that we would sometimes line up with 2 WRs on the line of scrimmage to the same side.  On the opposite side, we'd have a TE or the Tackle uncovered on the line.  I believe that in this case, the covered WR is ineligible with the uncovered tackle being eligible (but must inform an official).  Now, every time we lined up this way, we ran the football, and I called each and every run prior to the snap.  It seemed like a glaring mistake that the defense could have keyed off on but never did, those runs were mostly successful.

There was, however, one time when we did attempt a pass out of this formation, and we got called for an illegal formation (5 men in the backfield).  I personally think the penalty was incorrect, as it looked to be an ineligible receiver downfield (the covered WR ran downfield) and I did not think we had 5 in the backfield.  It could also be that the camera angle made it look like the receivers were on the line when they were not.

In any case, we could potentially throw to the tackle in such a formation, especially if, say, Jamarco Jones released and the defense keyed on run due to our tendencies on film, and also thinking he is going to block a LB.  Seeing a Happy Jamarco catch a TD pass in the red zone would be epic (who doesn't love a fat guy TD?).

Am I completely wrong here, or did anyone else see what I saw?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments