Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

PREDICTING OHIO STATE'S TOP FIVE RECEIVERS IN 2016

+2 HS
AJBor41's picture
August 18, 2016 at 11:01am
54 Comments

Not trying to step on any toes, but I always like these articles (like Michael Citro's last year), hadn't seen one yet, and figured it was about time to throw one out there for predictions. MODs, if this is a dupe, my apologies, go ahead and give it the axe!

In continuing with Michael's format, here are his predictions from last year, along with the actual results:

2015 PREDICTIONS/RESULTS

2015 Prediction 1: Michael Thomas - 59 receptions, 846 yards, 11 touchdowns

2015 Actual: Michael Thomas - 56 receptions, 781 yards, 9 touchdowns

2015 Prediction 2: Jalin Marshall - 43 receptions, 569 yards, 9 touchdowns

2015 Actual: Jalin Marshall - 36 receptions, 477 yards, 5 touchdowns

2015 Prediction 3: Ezekiel Elliott - 38 receptions, 375 yards, 3 touchdowns

2015 Actual: Ezekiel Elliott - 27 receptions, 206 yards, 0 touchdowns

Ok, at this point he was just showing off...

2015 Prediction 4: Dontre Wilson - 29 receptions, 342 yards, 5 touchdowns

2015 Actual: Braxton Miller - 26 receptions, 341 yards, 3 touchdowns

Since Braxton's switch to WR wasn't made "official" until July of last year, and this was done in April, I'm calling this a win for Citro too. He had the right position, but the wrong guy. Not bad at all.

2015 Prediction 5: Corey Smith - 28 receptions, 499 yards, 5 touchdowns

2015 Actual: Curtis Samuel - 22 receptions, 289 yards, 2 touchdowns

His only, true incorrect guess, but Smith's injury happened in October. Who knows? He very well may have come on strong late in the year and earned a few more grabs. We'll never know. He basically hit the nail on the head last year with his prediction order. Sure, the numbers were a bit off, as we all, likely, thought the passing numbers would be a bit higher than they were last season (roughly 1300 yards below what we passed for in 2014). But overall, wow, Citro did a damn fine job on his predictions. In fact, my wife is currently in Vegas, so if you happen to read this, Michael, and have anything that you'd like me to pass on to her to bet on, please let me know. 

Now, on to 2016 predictions!

2016 Prediction 1: Noah Brown - 62 receptions, 724 yards, 8 touchdowns

I haven't, personally, seen this guy drop a pass yet and have heard that he's been unstoppable in camp for the past two offseasons. Until I do, I have no reason to think he won't be the security blanket for JT this year. He appears to have big play potential, but also the ability to be a move-the-chains kind of guy, when needed.

2016 Prediction 2: Curtis Samuel - 40 receptions, 548 yards, 9 touchdowns

Ok, maybe this is a bit of a flyer, but I think that we're going to try to get the ball into Samuel's hands early and often this year in any way possible. I'm envisioning lots of screens, touch passes (think Jalin Marshall), and probably some shots downfield too (along with some time in the backfield rushing the football, I'm sure).

2016 Prediction 3: Corey Smith - 35 receptions, 408 yards, 5 touchdowns

I'm hopeful for big things out of Smith this year. He's shown that he wants to be on the field, and I think he's ready to break out this season in his role as a (probable) starter opposite Brown. I think Smith can be a deep ball threat, and has the explosiveness to break long plays on his own too.

2016 Prediction 4: Mike Weber - 25 receptions, 215 yards, 1 touchdown

Zeke was able to snag 55 receptions in his final two seasons, so I'm putting Weber just under that average. However, amazingly, Zeke didn't have a receiving TD in either of those seasons, so I've got Mike breaking that streak and hitting paydirt at some point on a catch and run this fall.

2016 Prediction 5: Dontre Wilson - 21 receptions, 263 yards, 3 touchdowns

It's time for Wilson to eat. He's been patient, despite his injuries, and I believe that splitting/sharing touches with Samuel will help to keep him healthy and dangerous this season. He just edged out Marcus Baugh on my list, who I'm guessing snags around 18 catches for 160 yards or so.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I left this well short of what I think we'll hit in terms of passing yardage this year. I accounted for a little over 2300 yards, but I think that guys like Mack, Gibson, McLaurin, Campbell, Dixon, etc. will accumulate another 600-700 yards, divided up over about 55-60 receptions between them all.

So, 11W faithful, what’re your prediction for Ohio State’s top five in receptions for 2016?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments