Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

X-Factor in QBgeddon

0 HS
GVerrilli92's picture
August 26, 2015 at 2:34pm
15 Comments

Yayyyyyy, ANOTHER QB THREAD.

But seriously, trying to find something we haven't discussed ad nauseam here and I was thinking of a point my roomie made earlier. He's also a Buckeye in NC and probably the only person I know that worships Troy Smith at the same level as I do. Anyways, it came up how much Troy improved in between that 4th and 5th year and whether or not you should ever expect that kind of jump out of your QB. Everyone remembers the flashes he showed in the year he won the job and after - but I don't think anybody expected him to transform into a Heisman QB in his senior year. He went from an option threat with an arm to a pure pocket passer with huge scramble potential. This was much to the design and overhaul of the offense by Tressel - but still.

The point is, is it even possible to see that kind of improvement out of one of the QBs this year? Do you expect the winner of the battle to be markedly improved over last year? Or is sharing reps hindering improvement? Which of the two even has the most upside? It seems that if Barrett added a little arm-strength, he could make that jump. But the same could be said about Jones and his reads. 

To wrap it up, I really think the decision will hinge upon which of the QBs improves the most at the one or two things they aren't great at. Sounds oversimplified, but whoever trots out for the first possession in Blacksburg could potentially have improved so much that it was felt throughout the team that he was the guy. So who, if they were to reach their respective max potential, would be the best college QB for Urban?

P.S. We should create a new forum category just for QBgeddon

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments