Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Remember the Time Not So Very Long Ago...

0 HS
DaiTheFlu's picture
January 14, 2015 at 6:32pm
14 Comments

When Ohio State "couldn't win the big game"? Remember when the calender turned to November and we still hadn't played a ranked team and Urban Meyer had yet to beat a top 15 (!) team in his 2.5 years in Columbus? That all seems like such a distant memory now that we just: 

- Beat 5 ranked teams in our last 7 games (which equaled the number of ranked teams beaten in the previous 2.5 years)

- Beat 3 teams that ended up in the AP & Coaches Poll top 5 (Oregon, Bama & MSU). Think about that. Has that ever been done before? 

- Beat 4 teams with 11 or 12 wins (MSU, Wisky, Bama & Oregon). Has this ever been done? I know that Ohio State in 2009 was the only team in history to beat 5 10-win teams; I'd say this year tops that, hands down. 

- Played and beat ALL THREE Heisman finalists, including, of course the winner. Incredible. 

Every single one of these accomplishments is fucking incredible and accomplishing ONE of them would be mind-blowing, much less all of them in one year. And yet there are still a few delusional TCU homers who think their team has a legitimate claim to a championship, with their wins over ranked powerhouses Ole Miss and Kansas State and...Oh, that's it. Yep, sounds like a NC team to me! What a joke. 

Anyways, trolling of butthurt fanbases aside, where does this team rank in compared to some of the recent champions? The fact that we were the first to conquer the playoff and had to go through 15 games including #1 and #2 in successive games to do it puts this team pretty high on the list. 2008 Florida and 2009 Bama were dominant teams in a dominant league and the 2001 Hurricanes had probably the most talent (despite playing in an average Big East). I'd say this team is one of the 5 most impressive champions, all things considered, in the last 2 decades at least. Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments