Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Perspective of an Older Fan

0 HS
Chic'sGhost's picture
January 13, 2015 at 2:39pm
54 Comments

Last night was satisfying, but not as satisfying as 2002.  Why?

I was in 6th grade in 1968 when the Super Sophs and demi god Rex Kern won the NC.  Heaven.  Then, in 1969, 1970, 1973 and 1975 OSU lost NC's because Woody Hayes refused to open up his offense, despite having incredible offensive talent.  Each season ending loss (and the Michigan tie in 1973) was incredibly painful. Think about this: Hayes had 3 undisputed NC's and really had the superior talent and should have won another 4.  Pain, pain, pain and pain. Oh the pain!

Then in comes Earle.  His first year with Woody's players he loses in the Rose Bowl to USC by a single frickin' point narrowly missing another NC.  Okay, we think the future is bright so we can live with it.  But, not so much as ol' 9-3 Earle just can't escape beating the better BT schools and losing to the bottom dwellers. 

In comes Coop. He chokes two NC's away in 96 and 98.  So, us older Buckeyes suffered SEVEN near misses when OSU arguably had the superior talent each frickin' time.  Pain, pain and well, you know.  

So, the 2002 NC championship erased all of that pain.  And oh my gosh was that feeling amazing.  After Cie Grant threw Dorsey to the Fiesta Bowl turf, I fell to my knees in only the second sports cry I ever had (the first was as a child after the 1969 loss at Michigan.) 

Now, since then we had the 06 and 07 NC losses.  But, only two as opposed to 7 isn't THAT bad.  Even though last night felt unbelievably satisfying, and one of the greatest sports moments of my life, it wasn't the complete catharsis of of 2002.  

Just a little get off my lawn perspective.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments