Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

If there had been an 8 team playoff

0 HS
Urban John Simon Meyer's picture
January 7, 2015 at 3:39am
40 Comments

The more I think about the results of the four-team playoff, the more I think it really did work in its inaugural year. Looking at the four teams that would have made it had there been three rounds, the only team truly deserving would have been Baylor (sorry TCU, but you lost the head-to-head). In addition, we could have had repeat matches from the regular season if you have both TCU and Baylor, and Michigan State and Ohio State (and Oregon) in the tournament. These matchups were already decided on the field; no need to extend the playoffs to re-litigate the issues.

As we learned on New Years, Baylor, Mississippi State, and Florida State were all - I don't want to say overrated per se - not championship-caliber teams. 

Finally, I think had there been eight, we would have wound up with the exact same championship game we are about to have:

Round 1:

1. Alabama v. 8. Michigan State

Ohio State and Oregon (and the first three quarters of the Cotton Bowl) provided some context to how this game would have probably played out. Sparty had a great season, but I think the Tide would've prevailed here. 

4. Ohio State v. 5. Baylor

I think this would have been a good game, but there is no way Baylor pulls off the W. It wouldn't have been as close of a game as the Cotton Bowl was either. The only good thing that could have come out of it was an additional week of starting for 12 gauge.

3. Florida State v. 6. TCU

TCU fans are delusional, but that doesn't mean they have a bad team. They beat a hapless Ole Miss, which trailed off at the end of the season just as TCU was peaking. There has been a lot of talk from Horned Frog nation about them deserving to be called cochampions with the eventual winners (read Ohio State) of the CFP, based on the Peach Bowl. This is funny to me, as they beat what everyone agrees is a team that wouldn't have made even an eight-team playoff. At any rate, after the clown show that FSU put on in front of the entire nation in prime time, I think TCU would've prevailed here.

2. Oregon v. 7. Mississipi State

See results for Rose and Orange Bowls.

Round 2:

1. Alabama v. 4. Ohio State

I think I've seen this match up somewhere already. I'd put my money on Ole Brutus.

6. TCU v. 2. Oregon

While I think TCU would've beaten FSU, I don't think they'd fair very well at all against Oregon. The Oregon defense wasn't awe-inspiring, but it was capable. TCU's defense shut down Ole Miss. That is a far cry from the high-flying Duck attack.

Championship Game:

4. Ohio State v. 2. Oregon

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments