Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What to Make of Today's Results?

0 HS
DaiTheFlu's picture
November 15, 2014 at 9:40pm
42 Comments

So, off the topic of Ohio State's tough win in frigid Minneapolis today, let's take a broader view of today's slate. How do today's results impact Ohio State and its bid for the playoffs?

First, I think we'd all agree that Nebraska NEEDED to win out and be our opponent in the B1G Championship, preferably 11-1 and in The top 10. Obviously, this did not happen, and in the most resounding way possible. Did Wisconsin do us a favor at least by blowing Nebraska out of the water? I'm thinking a sloppy Badger win would have made Wisky look less legit as an opponent; the fact that they dropped damn near the 60 on the Blackshirts shows that the Badgers, despite their 2 losses, are for real.

Outside the B1G, I think the result in the Bama game was probably as bad as it could be for our Buckeyes. A resounding win - by either Bama or MSU - would have likely dropped the other out of contention. As it is now, though, I'm sure the narrative will be that MSU "fought hard in a tough SEC venue" - the most "quality" loss of them all.

TCU obviously dodged a bullet, and one fired from as sorry a Power 5 opponent as you could possibly find; does this hurt them in the eyes of the committee? Our Bucks had a tough out in Minnesota, but against a top 25 foe in what was essentially a blizzard. I would compare today's Ohio State win with the TCU-WVU game a few weeks back; a top 10 team on the road against a ranked conference foe in less than ideal conditions. If we got dropped a spot for the close win in Happy Valley, how does TCU not get punished for today?

If FSU loses today, I think the day will end a RESOUNDING success, since we were probably fighting FSU or TCU for the final playoff spot (provided we win out, of course).

What say you, 11W? Wisky may not be a top 10 team by the time they roll into Indy, but after seeing Gordon rack up FOUR HUNDRED yards rushing today, I'm not convinced that the game won't be our toughest test of the season.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments