The Buckeyes entered this game with a 9-0 record and were coming off of a 40-3 victory over Illinois in Champaign. Ohio State was looking to continue a six game winning streak against Minnesota. This was Archie Griffin's last home game as a Buckeye.
Minnesota just defeated Northwestern 33-9 to improve to 5-4 on the season. Cal Stoll was in his fourth year as head coach and Tony Dungy was Minnesota's quarterback.
OHIO STATE PLAYERS
- Archie Griffin ran for a game-high 124 yards (5.4 ypc) and a touchdown. Archie also led the Buckeyes in receiving with 48 yards on two receptions.
- Cornelius Green completed 7/14 passes for 131 yards. Green also rushed for 62 yards (4.4 ypc) and two touchdowns.
- Pete Johnson had 90 yards on the ground (4.1 ypc) and a touchdown.
- Brian Baschnagel led the Buckeyes with 3 receptoins.
- Cornerback Craig Cassady intercepted Dungy.
- Tony Dungy completed 11/24 passes for 111 yards, 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions. Dungy also led the Gophers in rushing with 29 yards on the ground.
- Ron Kullas had a game-high 49 yards receiving.
Midway through the 2nd quarter, the Buckeyes drove 51 yards, with Heisman Trophy winning, All-American RB Archie Griffin scoring on a 19-yard touchdown run for a 17-0 lead that Ohio State held through halftime.
THE REST OF THE STORY
The Buckeyes defeated Bo Schembechler's No. 4 ranked team the next week 21-14 to finish the regular season 10-0 and ranked No. 1 in the country. Ohio State would finish the season in the Rose Bowl against a UCLA team they defeated 41-20 on the road in week 4 of the season. Unfortunately the Buckeyes lost 10-23.
IF YOU MISSED THEM, THIS WEEK'S ARTICLES
Ohio State on Nov. 15th