Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Life,Family and Self Respect Is More Important Than Sports

0 HS
awlinBrutus's picture
November 15, 2014 at 8:29am
9 Comments

I just watched ESPN's 30 30 about Brian Bosworth. WOW. Really hit me hard about his pain about his father. Fortunately for me later in life in my fathers retirement, we had a wonderful relationship and he had a awesome 20 year retirement before succumbing to the effects of diabetes. They sold their home in Steubenville and moved to Lakeland Florida 1984. I was in the Navy at the time stationed in Key West Florida, the same duty station my father served at towards the end of WW2. My 2 sisters and myself thought they had lost their minds. Turns out it was the best decision that they had ever made. I put my parents through hell 1980-84 before joining the Navy. Quaaludes. My youngest son is currently serving in the Air Fore stationed in Washington State, just got back from deployment from the Middle East. He has been deployed before, Afghanistan twice. This time he couldn't tell me where he was going, which coincided with build up of ISIS in Iraq. He doesn't serve in combat being in the Air Force but as we all know servicemen do not  necessarily  die just in combat. I was nervous about this deployment to say the least. He finally returned to US soil last week. How this ties in with the Boz and his father you are probably thinking? as I mentioned my father had diabetes. Late in 2004 we got hit with Hurricane Frances.I lived in West Palm beach at the time. One week prior to that my father injured his foot. Because of the hurricane Charly he doctors appointment was delayed a week. After Charly passed through central florida he was admitted to Lakeland regional hospital to have a bypass done on his leg because of the diabetes the blood was not circulating good enough to heel his injured foot. The bypass went great, Ironically the surgeon was a TTUN grad. Great man and surgeon by the way, we had a few laughs about the irony of it. Surgery went great. Unfortunately a few days later his body went into septic shock and he flatlined, they resuscitated him but he had a stroke.He never regained consciousness. He was now on a ventilator for the next 7 days. He wasn't breathing on his own, less than 20% and the ventilator was doing all the work. During this time I was dealing with the after affects of the hurricanes. I am a roofing contractor. Our power was out for 18 days. There were only a few gas stations in palm beach with fuel. I had to go to Port Saint Lucie to fill up enough gas for my crews and my home generator. 15 5 gallon gas cans every other day. West Palm is about a 2-2.5 hour drive to Lakeland. I never saw my father conscious again. What I would have given to just have had the opportunity to hold my fathers hand and tell him how much I loved him. I still beat myself up about not visiting him after the surgery because of how busy I was with work and collecting enough gas for my needs. Like I said the Boz's pain about his father brought me right back to my own pain.I miss my father very much. Please do not take your family and friends for granted. I don't care if the handful of assholes on this site that are always complaining about the topics people post do not like this post. This tie ins with my love of TOSU football. I look forward every week for our games. Many weeks its the only thing that gives me joy after putting up with work problems and all the assholes in the construction industry here in south florida. 30 30 reminded me that there are far more important things than sports. Make everyday count and watch what you say to loved ones because you may not get the opportunity to make it right. Lets go bucks and crush the gophers. And if we don't? I still love all our Buckeye's, keep it in perspective.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments