Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Are Expectations for Next Season Going to Be Too High? (Basketball)

+1 HS
nomatta's picture
March 3, 2019 at 10:47am
78 Comments

While I do think we are going to be somewhat better next season, I'm afraid our fanbase is already getting their expectations out of whack just because we're bringing in a few T50 recruits. If this season has proven anything it's that Holtmann and his staff aren't miracle-workers and I don't think they have some brilliant Xs and Os edge, either. I think it's a solid staff in a lot of ways and they did a great job with the 2019 recruiting, but they ain't Jesus or Einstein and I think right now they're probably a few paces behind the likes of Izzo, Beilein, and Painter.

I think we will do well enough in the non-con but I think the B1G is going to be brutal again next season, possibly even more brutal. we will see who leaves early, I guess, but I think all of Purdue, MD, MSU, scUM, Wiscy, and Iowa are set up for success again, Rutgers returns nearly everything and are right on our heels in the conference standings right now, PSU could be really good if Stevens and Watkins are back, Illinois is going to be much better just bringing everything back and adding Cockburn, Archie might be finding his groove and IU will have loads of talent next season even without Langford and Morgan, Lil Dicky might even find success with Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Curry, Oturu.

basically Northwestern and Nebraska are the only two teams I can look at and think, "they'll probably suck next season." hopefully we're right in the mix of the top half but I think you're still going to see a lot of losses, more losses than we were used to when Matta's very talented squads were cleaning up in a so-so power conference.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments