Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Men's Lacrosse: Roster Roundup

+5 HS
beserkr29's picture
August 18, 2021 at 3:55pm
54 Comments

Without notice, as is their wont, the men's lacrosse team posted this year's roster. A whole lot of fun things to be found, and it's worth running through to get a feel for what to look for.

No sentimentality, as freshman Ed Shean will don #10 this season after Grant Mitchell transferred to Duke.

Keeping in that theme, James Gurr was awarded #34 after Ryan Terefenko graduated and started killing it in the PLL.

Currently, there are also two #46s, as new man Noah Mendoza appears to be sharing with Stephen Zupicich. That can't be accurate, as both are likely to play this year.

Bobby Van Buren is #44 this year, taking over Tre Leclaire's number.

Positionally, there are a TON of new poles. By my count, six new defenders are on the roster, not counting Dante Bowen, who I believe is going to be a defensive midfielder. It will be a whole new world on that side of the ball, which can only be an improvement.

Two new goalies as well, with Skylar Wahlund the only holdover from last year's roster.

Bombshell of bombshells, to me at least, Justin Inacio WILL suit up for OSU this upcoming season! That's huge, as it takes the faceoff unit from a huge question mark to a massive strength. The Bucks will roll 5-6 deep, with freshman Matt Fritz joining the 3 upperclassmen. Drew Blanchard from Hobart also is listed, meaning Ohio State probably takes another transfer next year. Anthony Ameo came as a FOGO, but is listed at midfielder now.

Midfielder keeps looking like a work-in-progress unit, with a lot of older guys (seniors and 5th-years) and young guns. Ari Allen is #3, Owen Heinecker is #21, and Aidan Kenley is lucky #13. Surprisingly, there will be a bit of a logjam at the middie position on offense, as Colby Smith will be back after missing 2021 due to injury. With Griffin Hughes back as well, the top line to start game 1 almost certainly will be Johnny Wiseman, Hughes, and Smith. Would almost tell you to put the house payment on it. Second line will likely be Pehlke, White, and Mitchell, which means a tough road for the new players early. They're going to have to make up some ground to get on the field.

Top to bottom, this roster is significantly more talented defensively than last year. Close defense will be an absolute dogfight for time, and the LSMs will be right behind. Goalie will be Caton Johnson in game 1, amd I would bet the house on him being the starter all year long, barring injury. Offensively, the big loss is Tre Leclaire on the face of it. But, that might be a blessing for this team. No disrespect to Leclaire, I just think that things will be more balanced and there will be less of a crutch to lean on for the O. Now, we just need a dodger to emerge.

Link: https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-lacros/roster/

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments