Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Men's Lacrosse 2019 Fall Ball Update

+4 HS
beserkr29's picture
October 15, 2019 at 3:09pm
9 Comments

As we move towards the end of the fall season for lacrosse, it's a good chance to reflect on the news and notes of what has happened to the program since the semester started. And boy, has it been a PACKED couple of months for the Buckeye lacrosse programs.

First and foremost, the teams got an exciting new stadium approved for use as soon as funding is secured. The men's and women's teams are responsible for raising the $20 million necessary to build the stadium, with the $2.3 million in design costs footed by the university. I can't tell you how much that means to the programs, and it's already paying recruiting dividends.

The 2021 class, the first class which could play all 4 years in the new stadium, has exploded, with up to 7 members of the class currently (based on a tweet from Nick Myers). Only one of the 5 known commits is outside of the top 100, which puts this class on par with 2019 already. The Buckeyes have pulled in a couple monster defensive players, while the middies are nearly as good.

Ohio State has not gotten an attackman in the fold yet, which will be a high priority moving forward. And I don't think they are done with top 100 middies, either. I think 1 more is a safe bet, and who knows what else may happen.

On the field, things have been pretty quiet, for the most part. The big news was Ohio State's annual game against UNC at Calvert Hall. After a lopsided (unofficial) loss to UNC last year, this year the Buckeyes had an 11-10 W (unofficially), showing good improvement under Coach Sheridan.

The big worry was faceoffs, as the Buckeyes went 3 for 20-something. Positives were the emergence of both Mitchell's, who had a lot of time at O middie with the starters, Connor scoring a goal in the first quarter. Connor, if possible, was underrated coming out of HS, and is every bit a 5 star like his brother.

Of note was Skylar Wahlund getting the start at keeper, looking good. Additionally, Carter Hillary, who I thought would be an offensive player, ran out at D middie against UNC. That's surprising, somewhat, but given the emphasis on two-way players of late, it may just be a way to get him on the field. Just an interesting note.

Highlights of the game from STX will be posted in the comments.

As things wrap up, signing day looms in a few weeks for lacrosse. The 2020 class should be mostly finished, barring something crazy happening.

I am still waiting to see what happens with one player in particular, as he hasn't played high school lacrosse in a significant way. Regardless, things will be much clearer very soon. Any other news and notes prior to the preview dropping will be noted here.

Just over 100 days until lacrosse is back!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments