Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Wrestling Alumnus Joey McKenna Joins Pennsylvania RTC

0 HS
Andy Vance's picture
August 26, 2019 at 8:27pm
2 Comments

Two-time Big Ten wrestling champion Joey McKenna is moving from Columbus to Philadelphia to further his academic and athletic career.

After graduating from Ohio State last spring, it was unclear if the one-time Stanford standout would continue his training at the Ohio Regional Training Center - in its new home at the Jennings Family Wrestling Facility - or move back east, closer to his native New Jersey. The Pennsylvania RTC announced Monday that McKenna would do just that, becoming an athlete in residence training under coach Brandon Slay.

McKenna brings a wealth of international experience to the PRTC. He is a four-time age group World Team member. In 2018, McKenna was a member of the Senior National Team and the No. 2 wrestler in the country at 65 kg. He was also the 2018 U.S. Open champion. He is a 2014 Junior World silver medalist and a 2017 U23 World bronze medalist.

McKenna is a product of the prestigious Blair Academy where he was a three-time National Prep champion. He selected the PRTC to train because he believes it offers him the best opportunity to achieve his goals in life and in wrestling.

“I believe the Pennsylvania RTC has exactly what I am looking for in a place to continue to pursue my wrestling and life goals at the highest level. It encompasses all of the components that I feel are necessary to grow: coaching, mentorship, training, fellowship and educational and leadership opportunities.”  McKenna said.

Slay is a 2010 Olympic gold medalist, and coached McKenna on the 2014 and 2015 freestyle junior world teams.

"Joey is an ambitious leader who exemplifies character in all he does," Slay said of his newest athlete. "At the PRTC, our mission is to enrich lives locally and globally through the sport of wrestling. Joey will be a fantastic fit for our team culture, and I believe he will have a long lasting impact on this community for many years to come.”

According to Ohio State head coach Tom Ryan, McKenna couldn't pass up the opportunity to earn an Ivy League education to burnish his already stellar academic record.

McKenna was a three-time academic All American who majored in Business Administration with a focus on Operations Management at OSU.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 2 Comments