Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

It’s Time for Gene Smith to Move on

-4 HS
40 Degrees North's picture
August 18, 2018 at 12:03pm
118 Comments

I think it is time for Gene to move on.

During a time of major controversy for your cash cow program, the athletic director goes on vacation. It’s like the Treasury Secretary going on vacation during an economic collapse. Is the CEO of AEP going on vacation during a major power outage in Columbus? It’s dereliction of duty to go on vacation when a crisis is hitting one of your departments.

This is the second major scandal to hit the athletic department and university’s cash cow during his tenure. Someone might be able to get away with one. You don’t get away with two. 

The consistent public relations fiascos during his tenure continue to pile up. Crisis management is something Gene is poor at. Period. Two times during his tenure there have been public relations snafus because PR people believe we HAD to talk to the media. There was no need for a Jim Tressel press conference years ago. There was no need for Urban Meyer to talk about the Zach Smith firing. Again, you can get away with it once. You aren’t getting away with it twice. 

I know there are folks on this website that love Gene. I have never understood why. Sure, the teams have performed well, but this is a position that needs strength and leadership and we are not getting it from Gene Smith.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 118 Comments