Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Would Value City Arena be Built Today?

+21 HS
CarolinaBuck's picture
March 21, 2016 at 9:53am
128 Comments

Interview in the Dispatch with Gene Smith about the cavernous Schottenstein Center and how the multi-purpose arena has become a below average venue for both basketball and hockey. There are multiple opinions in the story about why the arena turned out the way it did. They range from adding hockey which widens the arena floor, thus prohibiting intimate seating like St John to overestimating the demand for basketball with too many seats. 

If I had my way and we could turn back time, I would have put money into St John Arena to bring it up to todays standards. St John was one of the crown jewels and arguably in the top five of college basketball arenas. I always thought Gee and Geiger wanted to ditch it for no other reason than they wanted something shiny, new and larger. I would have then built a 5-6000 seat ice arena which is the perfect size for B1G college hockey and it could have been used for multiple minor sports as well.

But in the end we ended up with a sterile, bland arena that doesn't fit any sport that's played there. What are your opinions fellow 11 warriors?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 128 Comments