College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

How Nick Saban Built a Dynasty

+17 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
August 2, 2022 at 2:07pm
132 Comments

When Nick Saban popped in and out of the University of Toledo, I had a friend that did PR work for him.  That work extended to his tenure at Michigan State.  In short, he summarizes the man, to this day, as the worst human being he's ever met.  And, I can't argue that point, because there is a basis for his opinion.

However, I can also tell you that Saban's tenure at Alabama has drastically altered my opinion of him - what used to be contempt and borderline hatred, is now respect and admiration for Saban, the football coach.  I still believe he is most likely an insufferable person that you could not stand to be around because, if you're not related to him and do not do anything to make his life better, he has no use for your existence. But, Nick Saban the college football coach?  He is the best to ever do it, and it's not because he cheated. That is a lazy argument that ignores the simple fact that he worked harder than anyone else, and paired that work ethic with an unparalleled strategy.

This article on Saban is an incredible read on how he built his dynasty in Tuscaloosa.  If you've followed his career at all, or have friends in Alabama, as I do, then you probably know some of what you'll read in that article.  But, there is more exposure behind the foundation Saban used to solidify himself as the greatest to ever do it at the collegiate level - bar none.

There are three major components to Saban’s recruiting approach:

1. Have parameters for what you want to take the guesswork out
  2. Information is king
  3. Don’t be afraid to adjust your opinion

Saban obsesses over every detail.  That's how he amasses a blue chip disparity against every team in America - including Ohio State and Georgia (both of whom are 2 and 2a behind Alabama, easily out-classing the rest of the college football world in terms of blue chip talent on their respective rosters).  This is also why recruiting cycle after recruiting cycle, Alabama lags behind in the class ranking right up until NSD, only to walk away with the #1 class.  The just won't sign anyone until they've done exhaustive research and they get their #1 target.

There is even some anecdotal evidence in the article showing how Ohio State recruited in the past, compared to Alabama.

Not long after Saban first arrived at Alabama, he instructed Alles to put together a big recruiting weekend to host top players and their families on campus. Alles, who previously worked at Ohio State, set it up how he had done so at his previous job – he put them up at the local hotel, set up an appetizer hour for mingling and then rented buses to take all the players and their parents out to dinner.

That Sunday after everyone left, Saban turned to Alles and said, “What in the hell was that?” Alles was confused.

Saban told him, “We’re not herding cattle. You don’t just put everybody on the bus and take them some place.”

I am certain that Ohio State now approaches visits more in line with Saban's style, but it's clear that in the very recent past, they did not.  The point here is not to compare or contrast what's going on in the Woody with Alabama, but it's easy to see that in some capacity Ohio State took notice and changed their tune.  My belief is that Meyer changed Ohio State's recruiting practices, and Day is taking it up a notch.

Love him or hate him, and I know how most of this board feels about Saban, you have to respect what he's accomplished.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 132 Comments