College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Is Urban Headed Back to Fox?

+8 HS
iowabuckeyes's picture
April 30, 2022 at 5:53pm
51 Comments

From the Athletic:

Urban Meyer and Fox Sports are deep in negotiations for Meyer to return to the network, The Athletic has learned.

The thinking at Fox Sports, via network sources, is that they don’t view Meyer’s failure at the NFL level as an impediment to his returning to Fox. They know that the hire will be pilloried on social media. Meyer also had a 10-month broadcasting tenure at ESPN in 2011 which ended when he took the Ohio State job.

A deal has not been completed with Fox at the moment but is heading that way. Fox Sports declined comment on Saturday.

Meyer himself indicated he’s on his way back to Fox during an April appearance on the Tim May Podcast. May was a longtime Ohio State football writer for the Columbus Dispatch.

“That’s all still in conversation,” he told May. “I love Fox, I love their team, I love their guys. There’s nothing that’s been finalized yet, but yeah I plan on going back and doing it.”

Fox replaced Meyer on "Big Noon Kickoff" last season with Bob Stoops but Stoops has since returned to coaching in the XFL.

I thought Bob Stoops was terrible, such a blatant Oklahoma homer but having him on set with Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart now that Lincoln Riley’s at USC might be CFB’s version of must-see-TV. And I’m not sure how being the coach of a team in a spring pro league of has-been’s and wanna-be’s teetering on the edge of bankruptcy even with NFL backing would be much of an impediment to Stoops coming back to Fox.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments