College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee, RE: Chase Young

+16 HS
Buckeye.383's picture
November 11, 2019 at 1:59pm
33 Comments

So after reading an article over on CBS Sports I discovered that Chase Young's eligibility will be determined by the NCAA's Student-Athlete Reinstatement (SAR) Committee and thought it would be interesting to learn a little more about the committee.

The committee is a 5 member panel with one student athlete representative and this representative does not participate in the review of appeals. The article reports that after a written report from OSU (and marking it urgent) the turn around time is likely 24 - 48 hours for a decision. This seems to be correct given that the NCAA website states the committee is expected to hold conference calls on Tuesday and Thursday during the week from 2:30 - 3:30 EST to review appeals. So if the university submits its appeal today or tomorrow I would assume we hear something before Saturday. 

The interesting part, to me, is that Ohio State's Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance sits on this committee and will have to recuse herself from the Chase Young decision. My hope is that her participation in other decisions and knowledge of how the committee makes decisions will lead to a favorable outcome because she can advise the university on what the committee will look for and where it places value when making these decisions. Here are the members of the committee: 

Division Title Name & Institution Confernce
FBS Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance Paia LaPalombara, Ohio State Big Ten Conference
FBS Associate AD/SWA Marielle vanGelder, UNC Atlantic Coast Conference
FCS SWA, Sr. Assoc. AD/General Counsel Loretta Lamar, U.S. Naval Academy Patriot League
Div I Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance Rick Christensen, Duquesne Univ. Atlantic 10 Conference
Div I FAR Michael E. Bitter, Stetson Univ. ASUN Conference
Div I Student Athlete Ava Lawson, Northern Kentucky Univ. Horizon League

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments