College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Are Johnson and Klatt Like Peanut Butter and Jelly?

+5 HS
Buckwheat's picture
November 2, 2019 at 1:30am
54 Comments

So I'm watching an ESPN retread game of SMU vs Texas from the 80's and listening to Keith Jackson call a game in his prime. He sounds great and it brings back childhood memories. The problem is his color sidekick is someone whose voice I don't recognize and it makes Keith's game call and presence seem less impressive. So I started thinking, maybe Keith Jackson wasn't as good as my nostalgic memory thinks, and that I may prefer Gus Johnson as a Play By Play guy better. But as I continued to listen to Keith, I realized that maybe he WAS great but with a better color commentator as his sidekick. So to get to the point. I really like Joe Klatt as a color commentator, and I enjoy Gus Johnson too, but does Joe Klatt make Gus Johnson better? I mean Gus is great and loves his barbeque, but would I like him has much if he had a different partner, other than Klatt? It made me wonder what fellow 11W's think on a bye week. Is Johnson/Klatt a perfect match like PBJ or PB-chocolate? Or, do they stand on their own, no matter who they are partnered with? Would you like one or the other less on their own? Who do you thing gives more to the partnership? Maybe you don't like PBJ and think Johnson/Klatt are terrible. I think I may not like Johnson's call as well without Klatt. I also think I would still appreciate Klatt if partnered with another Play by Play guy. But for sure, together, they are excellent. It is my opinion that Klatt adds a bit for Johnson rather than Johnson adding for Klatt. It is weird for me to consider that Greise made Jackson, but I think it may be true for me. Jackson with a different color guy is just not the same.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments