College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

A More Ideal College Football

+4 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture
October 17, 2019 at 5:14pm
48 Comments

I think college football is the best sport to follow in American sports, but it has its flaws. Here are my Ideas to make it better. (All personal opinion)

1: GO BACK TO THE BCS, KEEP THE PLAYOFF
The playoff committee's flaws are being exposed more and more. Be it human error, subjecting themselves to too much popular influence, or outright bias, it can do better. The BCS to some extent is a bit more objective, we all just got tired of seeing SEC teams pigeonholed into the top of a 2 team title system. Most of us just wanted a playoff, we didn't care who picked it, but we should have.

2: FIRST RND OF PLAYOFFS PLAYED AT HOME STADIUM OF HIGHER RANKED TEAM, TITLE GAME REMAINS NEUTRAL SITE GAME OF ITS OWN.
This would not only make the playoffs more exciting, but it would benefit the local economy of the hosting area. 12 regular season games, your team typically gets 6 at home. I would argue Columbus or Tuscaloosa need that money more than Pasadena, Atlanta or Dallas.
Another plus is that games such as the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl could go back to being their own bowl games, unaffiliated with the playoff. It may allow us to cut out some of the garbage bowl games (6-6 team vs 7-5 team) in the process.
And can you imagine the atmosphere for those games? Also Clemson or Georgia being woefully unprepared for December in Columbus? Yes please.

3: GIVE THE HEISMAN TO A NON QB/RB HERE AND THERE
Obviously, don't give non QB's/RB's the award just for kicks. And sometimes, college football's best player doesn't put up college football's best stats (Joey Bosa, 2015). But there are times that they do, and something dumb overshadows their case.
For example:
2015, Derrick Henry.. Christian McCaffrey breaks a record held by Barry Sanders, impacted more areas of his team's offense while posting more complete stats, and got outshined by an overhyped Bama player.
2009, Mark Ingram... I'm not just hating on Bama guys here, I think Colt McCoy and more specifically, Ndamakong Suh deserved it more. My pick goes to Suh. The SEC hype train may be a point of contest these days, but back then it was legitimate.
2002, Carson Palmer... Terrell Suggs had 24 sacks. The best player had the best stats and lost the award because he wasn't playing the right position.
1995, Eddie George... before you hate on me, I would have given it to Orlando Pace. The guy didn't give up a sack for what? 2-3 years while playing in a Big 10 that at the time, actually had some premier teams besides us. Then he went #1 overall in the draft to prove what we all knew: he was the best player in the game. Give the man his trophy.
Giving the Heisman to non QB/RB players is sometimes warranted. And voting with hype/bias over substance is enraging. To vote in either fashion is an overly casual, lazy way to vote for the best award in sports... an award that's beginning to lose its luster.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments