College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Tom Mars Now Working for NCAA... According to Rick Neuheisel.

+6 HS
kmp10's picture
August 12, 2019 at 10:57am
18 Comments

While listening to SiriusXM this morning, Neuheisel mentioned that he was told Tom Mars, Justin Fields' attorney, is now employed by the NCAA. A staffer quickly verified that Mars is now a member of the NCAA's CCU (complex case unit). If you can't beat him, then get him to join you, or something like that. Personally, I can easily see why Tate Martell, sans Mars, gained immediate eligibility while Matthew Baldwin did not, but it seems that's a sore subject for many members of this community, and Mars going to 'the enemy' might indicate that the NCAA is not going to continue handing out eligibility waivers like candy. In fact, securing the services of Mars leads me to believe the NCAA might be heading in the direction opposite of that... or back to its standard operating procedure. On the other hand, Mars being hired could also indicate the NCAA is absolutely changing its long-held policy and philosophy regarding eligibility waivers, and they've hired Mars to walk them through the process of arguing against the NCAA's positions when these cases inevitably arise so that they can change what needs to be changed and be more consistent in their rulings. Either way, Mars going to that side of the fence is an interesting development... at least to me.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments