College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College Football Leaders Ready to Discuss 8 Team Playoff - The Athletic

+27 HS
Dweinz's picture
December 12, 2018 at 10:47am
246 Comments

This article is from the athletic (so requires subscription), but a couple of points from the article below:

“Everyone has the same feeling; expansion is inevitable,” said Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, who served on the CFP’s selection committee from 2014-2016. “When you can do it, and I think we need to serve more people. I think four was the right way to get started. In my opinion, we need to take a look of adding more teams into the Playoff, giving more opportunities.  

Some people with direct knowledge of the conversations involving commissioners, athletic directors and presidents declined to speak on the record because they feel they need to publicly support the current four-team model. Others feel they need to speak out in support of expansion to get the ball rolling. The midway point of the Playoff contract with ESPN — the 2020 season — is fast approaching. It would make sense to expand then, after the six semifinal bowls have all hosted an equal number of times.

Alvarez said the criteria for selection has been confusing, with the weight carried by conference championships and strength of schedule varying year to year or even week to week. The three leagues that have missed the Playoff multiple times all play nine-game conference schedules. Even the rankings have irked those keeping tabs on strength of schedule; Florida finished No. 10, earning a trip to a New Year’s Six bowl, with two of the Gators’ wins this season coming against FCS opponents.

seems like commissioners and college presidents have been reading the 11w forums - playoff expansion might be coming sooner than we thought

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 246 Comments