College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

A Season Lost

+5 HS
parabuckeye's picture
September 24, 2017 at 2:47pm
19 Comments

It was a life changing moment for me back in 1995 when I left Columbus MEPS station for my trip to Columbia S.C. to start basic training. The college football season had just began and here I was completely cut off from my beloved Buckeyes. Growing up in NW Ohio I still remember listening to 1150 AM radio while working in the dairy barn on Saturday afternoons or on a tractor hauling grain to the elevator. visions in my head of Eddie making cuts and blasting thru the line with every touch of the ball. Bobby tossing the ball to Terry like they had grew up as neighbors. Yet here I was in a place that cheered for a Gamecock whatever that is. Since I was just starting my military service there was no T.V. or radio to listen what was going on in Columbus. My only news came on Sunday mornings after chow when we got to buy a USA Today. I would try and be in front of line to get chow, once getting my food I would chew once and choke it down so I would be first in line to see how things had turned out on Saturday. Lucky for me the Buckeyes had a great start to the season and there was extra write-ups about there success. That was my one moment to relax from the constant barrage of drill instructors yelling about everything from my boots having dust on them after a 10 mile road march or not running fast enough for them from Point A to Point B (Galloway and Ginn are slow for there liking). Boy what a great season to, we had beat 6 ranked teams while I was in training. I graduated from basic the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Finally I was going to get to watch a game and I was going to get to watch "The Game". On that Saturday I was sitting in a Hooters bar in Columbia S.C. with my dad who came down to see me graduate and the world stopped. I don't remember what, if anything, I ate or if any of the girls lived up to the name of the place. All I know is like the groundhog seeing his shadow in February after 60 ticks of the clock I was ready to go back to basic for 6 more weeks. My love for the Buckeyes has grown as I get older as I pass my love for them to my children. Can't wait for the rest of this season and for many others in the future. Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments