College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Pretense of the Stat All Purpose Yards and McCaffrey Hype

+3 HS
troyciceronotsmith's picture
October 8, 2016 at 12:08am
32 Comments

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Please-can-we-stop-making-all-purpose-yards-matter-48063932

The title of this article "Can We Stop Making All Purpose Yards Matter" is somewhat misleading.

In short, what the writer, Chance Linton of 247, discusses in the article is how Christian McCaffrey's hyped up all purpose yard stat is an illusion. McCaffrey for those of you who didn't know, is the "favorite son" of the Stanford football program, therefore, they let him touch the ball every chance they can give it to him. 

The reason why I mention this is because since before the season started, when Urban Meyer was calling Curtis Samuel his top play maker, practicing his usual preseason praise of Curtis, I decided to actually believe it this year. Knowing how great of an athlete Curtis was, I remember telling other fans to watch out for Curtis Samuel, because he is better than Christian McCaffrey, and finally for the first time in his career, Curtis would be the featured, top guy on Ohio State's offense. So in my logic Curtis was primed for a better season than Christian McCaffrey.

Fast forward to now, Curtis Samuel is having a better year than McCaffrey. But that is currently not being recognized by the rest of the nation. Curtis Samuel is not higher than Christian McCaffrey on ANY Heisman Polls. Why is this? Well a big reason for that is in the All Purpose Yards stat, includes Kick Return and Punt Return Yards, which is what makes Christian McCaffrey's all purpose yard stat seem a little inflated. Now if we were to compare Yards from scrimmage, a more fair stat to compare athletes to each other, it is clear that Samuel is the more efficient player. 

Samuel (from scrimmage): 4 games, 64 touches, 328 rushing yards (41 rushes), 345 receiving yards (23 receptions), 673 total yards, 5 touchdowns .

McCaffrey (from scrimmage): 5 games, 108 touches, 485 rushing yards (91 rushes), 149 receiving yards (17 receptions), 634 total yards, 4 touchdowns. 

#Curt4Heisman

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments