Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

House Divided

+3 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture
May 15, 2020 at 1:24pm
21 Comments

This is not how I imagined it.  At All!

A little background:  Back in 1987, I graduated high school...I was never really good at school..and that is an understatement.  I grew up in Southfield, Michigan...a suburb of Detroit.  I was neither a wolverine or a spartan...but if I was anything, I was more Michigan, than State.

I wasnt going to get into either..and truth be told, I am still amazed that I even got in to OSU.  With todays standards, I would likely not even get into any school.

After Graduating from OSU, I came back to Michigan with a Degree in Marketing....and to the Cooper years.  I still held tough as a Buckeye, and knew that things would get better...And did they ever. 

First son was born in 2002, just in time to never see a dominant Michigan team over OSU.  I dressed the kid in head to toe buckeye all the time...and since my wife's family is die-hard wolverine, it was a beautiful time.  For as long as he has known, he has been a buckeye in enemy territory, and he has thrived in this.

NOW HERE IS THE TWIST:  For the past year, after looking at Engineering schools, he narrowed his choices to 3 schools...

• OSU (Honors College)
  • Purdue (Meh)
  • TSUN (ugh)

When it came down to it, he was torn between the two rivals, leaving Purdue in the dust.  This was a hard decision for him, and he approached me to tell me his decision.  He was going to chose TSUN, but he told me that he would always cheer for the Buckeyes, even against TSUN.

I had to put my foot down...College is about a lot of things...and one of them is being a rabid fan of your team.  While I cannot stand the skunkweasels in Ann Arbor, I cannot let him go through college being "that Douchebag".  My son must chose his own path, even if it isn't the one I chose for him when he was born.  

So I did what any normal dad would do, and I made him my mortal enemy in jest, and will now have an insanely fun rivalry in my home...my second son?  He better choose OSU, or I will lose my friggin mind.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments