Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

How You Remembered It, and What It is Now

+11 HS
Marcus Hall's Middle Fingers's picture
January 16, 2020 at 1:03am
44 Comments

What a difference time, physical growth or regression, experience, and perspective can make in changing a memory.

1. In my memory, from ages 3-4, my front yard in rural Southern Illinois (after we moved from Ohio), was like something you'd see on National Geographic. It was just an open grassland that stretched to the paved county road. When I visited decades later, it was an average front yard for a normal rural home. It had shrunk incredibly.  

2. When I was in college, I would visit a burrito establishment, located in the drinking district, after last call. I remembered how good the food was after a long night of drinking. It was a great night cap. Rewind a few years ago, my family was looking for a place to drive through for lunch, and I saw the familiar name. Not the same location, but I thought "let's give it a shot." We went through the drive through, and within an hour, I was vomiting off of my front porch. I knew the food and horchata was shitty, but I refused to accept it as I reminisced about what it used to tasted like. 

3. I'll never forget the first time I went back and watched film of me when I played football in high school. We always watched film of our games when we were still playing back then. It was normal procedure on a Saturday morning following a game. But I hadn't re-watched one of those games for over 25 years. When I did, everyone on the field was a whole lot slower, much less agile, and overall worse than the last time I'd watched it back in the mid 90's. lol  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments