Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Just for You WWII History Fans!

+26 HS
Major H's picture
December 21, 2019 at 4:53pm
78 Comments

We got back from our trip to Germany and Belgium a couple days ago and I'm going through some pictures to share with you WWII history lovers. Our main purpose of the trip was to visit Bastogne, Belgium for the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge. When we lived in the Netherlands, we attended the annual ceremony from about 2003 through 2014. We really enjoy doing the historical walks around various sections of the US defensive perimeter. Lots of reenactors - mostly US - but some Germans, too. Also lots of restored military vehicles. I'm still wrestling with getting some of the photos and videos off of my iPhone, but here's a little taste of the event.

Sunday there was a battle reenactment in a small town north of Bastogne. We lucked out and just happened to be very close to where the German attack started. First there were infantry moving from left to right in front of us. They were under fire from the US soldiers about 200 yards further down the hill. 

Then about 30 yards to our left, the German vehicles came into the attack. There was a Panther tank, a StuGIII and a couple halftracks. 

The US troops were way too far away for me to get any pix.

Here is a YouTube video taken the day before in nearby Manhay, Belgium that shows the vehicles much closer.

The title mentions the Hardigny reenactment, but I don't see any of it. 

Enjoy!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments