Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Mental Health

+22 HS
Marcus Hall's Middle Fingers's picture
October 25, 2019 at 9:53am
17 Comments

Good morning friends. I wanted to take this opportunity to give my experience with the serious topic of taking care of oneself in regard to mental health. My hope is that maybe I can reach one person here who is struggling.

Quick background, for most of the last decade I dealt with depression / anxiety on a serious level. I'm in my early 40's, and I've always had a small amount of what I thought of as a "black cloud" that would surface from time to time. However, over the last 10 years, it became a daily issue, where I couldn't shut it off. I reached a breaking point this Summer and finally reached out for help.

I found a person I could talk to, and my doctor prescribed me a medication for depression / anxiety. My life has been so positively affected over the last few months. I don't fight with my wife anymore which leads to a lot more sex. My relationship with my daughters has become even better than I thought it could be. People notice that I'm much more pleasant to be around. As a high school teacher, my interactions with my students have become what they used to be, happy, humorous, positive, and much more patient. And maybe the best part is that I'm now remembering how good everyday life feels. My happy is so much better, and my sad isn't nearly as bad.

I say all of that to say this. If you're struggling please reach out. It's ok if you need some help. There is NO stigma with having a mental health issue! I hope this can help someone.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments