Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley LV (Love Song Edition)

+6 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
January 15, 2018 at 3:12pm
22 Comments

We have a special edition today, with Valentine's day coming up in a few weeks and the stores already stocked with candy at low prices as well as anything colored red. Today's edition will focus entirely on love songs, and the variety we see in different ways that humans set their amorous intentions to music.

The first song is from my favorite band, Kamelot, and is a piece of their brilliant two-part concept album story which was told in the albums Epica and The Black Halo. The story is a take on the Faust legend, taking most of its inspiration from Goethe's version. In this song, the main character Ariel has just consummated a love affair with a young woman he was tricked into thinking was his dead love, Helena. This was part of a plot of the albums' villain, Mephisto, who promised to give Ariel all he desired in the flesh provided Ariel gave him his soul. It's a strange love story that involves a demon from Hell, but no less valid than any of the other love songs in this medley. This is "When the Lights Are Down."

Up next is a true American classic. Way before it was ever the (somewhat atonal) soundtrack for a Game of Thrones trailer, this song was breaking hearts and taking names across the country. I give you Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game."

Of course we couldn't have this list without including at least one song by Andrea Bocelli. This one is actually a cover of a much older, classical Italian pop song by Ornella Vanoni. The lyrics (in Italian, naturally) concern a love-sick person agonizing as a date approaches, and anxiously considering everything that could go wrong ("Se tu non arrivi non esisto" (if you don't show up, I just can't go on)). As always, Bocelli delivers a world class vocal performance. This is "L'Appuntamento" ("The Date" or "The Appointment").

Next, we have perhaps the most unlikely of love balladeers in rapper DMX. While it's easy to think of him only as a performer of club bangers, DMX also tried his hand at least once at crafting a love ballad. And, honestly? It comes off all right. This is "How's It Going Down?" by DMX.

And lastly, how could we complete this medley without at least one blues song? This is Robert Johnson's immortal "All My Love's In Vain," featuring the enigmatic and enduring lines "the blue light was my blues, the red light was my mind."

Feel free to add your favorite love songs in the comments.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments