Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Sous Vide: Heard of It? Used It? Had the Results?

+2 HS
SilvioDante's picture
January 7, 2018 at 10:28pm
38 Comments

Sous Vide:

Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking in which food is vacuum-sealed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and then placed in a water bath or steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat, higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and to retain moisture.

Basically, you cook meat and other foods through heated water.

The benefits(?):

• Can cook a piece of meat uniformly and to the exact temperature that you want (steak; medium rare; 129 degree)
  • It can hold your piece of meat at that temperature for up to 24 hours (not saying you would)
  • Cooking the meat inside a vacuum bag or food safe bag retains juices and moisture.

The hardware:

I personally have one of the cheapest Sous Vides around. A Monoprice Strata Immersion model that retails for $69 (paid $49 on sale) and a $20 coleman cooler with a 2 3/8" hole cut out for the sous vide to drop in (per recommendations on amazon and other sites).

The Cadillac, if you will, is the Mellow cooking system that does refrigeration as well as heating, is bluetooth and wifi enabled, and you can control it from your phone. You can throw a portion of meat in the night before, set the timer on your phone for when you want to eat it the next day, and when you get off work and are ready to eat, so is your perfectly cooked steak. Jetson's level stuff, which retails for $399.

The results:

My brother was the first to enlighten me to such wizardry. more or less forcing a thick cut strip on me and changing my life forever. Admittedly, I have only dabbled in sous vide'ing steaks (strips and ribeyes) but they have been phenomenal. Set the sous vide to 129 degree farenheit and let it go to work. Anywhere from 40-60 minutes and the sous vide will uniformly cook the steak to 129 degrees and hold it there until you remove it.

Since I like a crust, I put the steak in an ice bath while warming up the grill for a nice sear. Salt both sides, and put on the grill for 1-2 minutes per side at very high heat.

I have always struggled with cooking chicken properly, so that is then next meat I plan to tackle, sometime  this week.
Anyone else?
Do you have one? Have you heard of it? Recipes? Tips?...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments