Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Thank You MODS!!!

+48 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture
January 6, 2018 at 9:22pm
78 Comments

Two years ago, a few months after I stepped off of USS LEYTE GULF, and sea duty, for the last time, I had a decision to make. Nearly 20 years after failing out of Ohio State, and with Naval career coming to an end, I had to finish my Bachelor's degree.

Now, this was a goal that I had set for myself. It had to be done before I retired...I never wanted to be one of those senior guys (I am a Senior Chief) who retired without their degree, while preaching to others, and my daughters, that they needed to finish their degree/ certification/ qualifications before they retired, so that they wouldn't struggle.

The biggest issue that made this next to impossible was sea duty...I had completed my associate's in 2011 after leaving shore duty in 2005 with only four classes left. I spent a tour with no internet connection (to take on-line courses) were we where out to sea for nearly 26 out of 34 months. I followed that up on shore, where I rode ships to train and asses them, leaving little time for school. (FWIW, I loved that tour!)

Upon completing back to back sea tours, I kind of figured this was my last ride. (Alternately, my wife and daughters told me they had enough!)

SO, back to it...I looked into a variety of schools and learning options. (Sorry, Ohio State, I love you but your on-line offerings are pathetic.) Penn State was actually an option, and I decided that on-line had to be the way to go. After much more research, I decided to go with the University or Toledo. Unfortunately, the Navy did not see it that way, and did their best to convince me to go elsewhere, get a quick degree and maybe get a Master's.

I was hella confused...and consulted the Mod Squad, along with Jason. They, as a group, advised me to go with my gut and stick with UT. I convinced the Navy to let me use my tuition assistance there, and along with aid from the military office, I was on my way.

Don't get me wrong, there were some classes that absolutely kicked my ass...many days I would vent to my fellow mods, and in some cases, got some help with questions. I waited a few weeks to post this to be sure, as it didn't seem real, but 22 years after starting at Ohio State, I am finally a college graduate...UT kinda messed up my GPA due to transfer credits, but my GPA there was over 3.6, more than double my High School GPA.

With that being said, I just wanted to take the time to thank the mods and Jason for all of their guidance, mentorship and help through it all!!!

(And yes, this means I will be on more!!!!)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments