Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Remember when It Was Ok to Keep Dogs Outside? Not Anymore.

+2 HS
sword52's picture
December 12, 2017 at 2:18pm
112 Comments

I had been thinking about how a few decades ago it was normal for most dog owners to keep dogs outside.  These days it can be a crime in winter in certain areas. Plus on Facebook if a dog is spotted outside or roaming you can be sure that a picture and begging for help will be posted. Seems like mostly women do the worrying.

A cousin has a husky mix and the dog loves it outside but she is afraid to let it out fearing neighbors will complain and report her. These days you have no idea of who owns dogs unless you see them being walked outside.

So how is it that dogs somehow survived for over maybe 10,000 years but now they can not get by unless they live inside. Now I know all about how they are a pack animal and like being part of the pack/family.  But they did survive all this time. How about other countries now? It may be India that has all the street dogs. Not sure about most others.

We dont have a dog now. We do have a calico cat that we found abandoned and kept her. We keep her in a sunporch with a insulated tote box inside a bigger one with insulation foam board, reflectix and straw.  We let her out if she wants during the day.  So now cats are also mostly supposed to be kept inside too.

Anyhow just some thoughts I had been having recently.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 112 Comments