Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XLIX

+6 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
December 4, 2017 at 5:19pm
15 Comments

We're just one edition away from when this series takes an L, and a few short weeks away from making it one year since I launched this series. Thank you to everyone who's been keeping up, who believes in the power of music, and who supports them ol' boys in the Ohio State Buckeyes football team.

Our first song's title encapsulates what I wish for all Buckeye fans in the coming weeks as we watch other teams chase the glory of a national title and settle for the highest level non-playoff game against an old rival in USC. This song, by British band "The Darkness," embodies an old-school sound that reached its zenith during the 1980s with hair bands like Guns and Roses and Van Halen. This is "Everybody Have a Good Time."

Up next is a beautiful love song by Italian opera singer Andrea Bocelli. This song, sung in Spanish, means "But I Miss You," and is the perfect song to sing when thinking about the national title trophy we're not going to get this year (but might get next year?). We'll always have 2014, won't we?

Next we have a song from one of my favorite rap groups, Run the Jewels. This song, "Thieves! (Screamed the Ghost)" comes from their most recent album, RTJ3, and features a sample from one of the classic Twilight Zone episodes "The Obsolete Man," as well as a quote from Martin Luther King Jr about the origins of riots. The music video here (fanmade) features clips from the Twilight Zone episode. You may rap like this when you feel like tearing down the college football playoff system that puts an undeserving Alabama team in over us.

Last up is a song from one of my favorite bands, Interpol. This song "Obstacle 1," speaks to a frustration I think a lot of us had with this season: that often it felt as if we only had one obstacle to being a truly elite, world-beating team. What that obstacle was changed depending on the game--sometimes it was playcalling, sometimes it was receiver play, and then sometimes it was our linebackers. Here's to the Cotton Bowl and to next season, where we get past all our obstacles.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments