Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I'm sure glad to be alive!

+23 HS
D-Day0043's picture
October 20, 2016 at 12:03pm
24 Comments

It has been a rough year. I have had both of my rotator cuffs repaired this year and my wife just lost her grandmother and mother within five weeks of each other. Her mother passed the day after her 53rd birthday.

I celebrated my 39th birthday last Wednesday. When I went to sleep that night, I didn't wake up the next morning. I own my own business, so I have been pushing so hard to recover financially from my two surgeries that I pushed too hard. Apparently, I had an infection going on that I didn't know about. I have been living in pain for the last year and killing myself at work, so pain became a part of my daily life. I had a seizure - and my heart stopped. When the paramedics got there, they were able to bring me back. Then...I had another seizure - and my heart stopped again. By some miracle they were able to resuscitate me again.

I'm not sure how much time had passed, where I was, or what had even happened, when I began to regain consciousness. I could hear a doctor tell my wife he wasn't sure I was going to make it, and if I did, I might have permanent brain damage. It took every ounce of energy I had in me to let them know I was was still in there. I couldn't open my eyes, so I tried to move my arms. Nurses came running in because I started to move my arms and legs, they probably thought I was having another seizure. I was strapped to the bed with a respirator down my throat, so I couldn't talk. Luckily I had presence of mind to give a thumbs - up. I slowly fought my way back from there.

My whole perspective on life changed. I watched my beloved Buckeyes battle back in Madison that Saturday night from my hospital bed. I knew they were going to pull it out. I was still very weak and passed out a few times during the game, but I knew they would get it done, because winners find a way no-matter-what to get it done.

All of the things that I had been killing myself to achieve seem so insignificant and trivial now. My bills are in a rears. My business is shut down. I don't know when I will be able to go back to work. I don't know how we are going to make it - but I know it will all be O.K. None of that is important anymore.

I have been given the privilege of waking up this morning, and I get to spend another day with my daughter 8, and my son 5. I get to see my wife and friends another day.

I am sharing my story for any of my 11 Warriors brothers and sisters who are having a hard time, suffering from depression, chemical dependency, or may be considering taking their own life. Life is a gift. A beautiful wonderful gift. Give your kids a hug and tell them you love them. Tell your friends and family how much they mean to you. And don't waste a second of this day. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments