Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Xonday Xeltdown - Sparty Edition

0 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture
November 23, 2015 at 12:14am
257 Comments

Many psychologists believe that those who experience a traumatic event or loss will go through 5 stages of grief.  Those stages are: 1. Denial and Isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; and 5. Acceptance.  After Saturday's game contest event loss heaping pile of elephant feces, I thought perhaps it may be therapeutic to recap the 5 stages of grief that I've gone through since Saturday evening.

Before digging in, it might be worth identifying the traumatic event.  In my opinion, the traumatic event isn't the loss to Sparty (bad as that was) - it was my cold realization Saturday night that there apparently isn't an "on" switch that this team can flip to take them back to the heights they reached last year.  I had assumed all season that this team would rise to the level of its competition at the end of the year, peak at the right time, and give us a puncher's chance at a repeat. The loss was bad.  The realization that there's no "on" switch was worse.

Ok - deep breath - let's tackle those 5 stages:

1. DENIAL AND ISOLATION.

I feel like Sergeant Schultz. I watched all the games and yet I still believed this team would flip a switch and start throwing the ball all over the field.  Why did I believe that?  Who knows.  There certainly wasn't any evidence to suggest it would happen.  I didn't even want to believe it on Saturday during the game.  The offense wasn't "really" struggling because of the weather.  The play calling isn't "really" that bad because Sparty is good on D....and because of the weather.  Hell, I didn't believe my eyes when I saw the winning field goal go through the uprights.  I certainly didn't believe my eyes when I saw Sparty's kicker windmilling his way down the field in euphoric celebration (get ready for that highlight every year for the next decade).

Isolation?  Yep, I had that too - or at least isolation from the football world. I normally watch football all night long until at least 12:30 - 1:00 a.m.  This week I couldn't stomach the thought of hearing about the Buckeyes' messy pants during every pause in action the rest of the night.  I was in bed by 10:30, with a headache that I can only assume was caused by........

2.  ANGER.

Between my denial and isolation I admittedly had an honest bout of anger.  Apparently I wasn't the only one (enjoy practice this week, Zeke).  There was also plenty of anger within our ranks here at 11W.  I think we had threads (or at least significant amounts of comments) advocating the firing of anyone with a pulse, even Urban Meyer!  I was angry at the coaches too, mostly the offensive staff and play callers (whoever that is these days).  I wanted Tim Beck out of the way, Urban to call plays, Warriner to go back to coaching offensive line, etc. etc. etc. etc.  I've never played a down of football, but dammit, I was going to yell at the TV enough to convince Urban to listen to me and make immediate changes.  Above all though - I was just mad that I was wrong about this team having a magical "on" switch to start steamrolling teams the way it did in the playoffs last year, and that, as Zeke pointed out, the coaching staff apparently didn't even give the team access to the "on" switch.  However, being angry during the game didn't stop me from .....

3. BARGAINING.

Please football gods, I know the team doesn't deserve to win tonight, and I know the coaches forgot to make an offensive game plan, and I know you delivered an injured Connor Cook to our stadium, and I know you gave us 2 turnovers, and I know you gave us 14 points off of those 2 turnovers, and I know you gave Sparty 0 points after a muffed punt, and I know you didn't let Sparty throw in the 2nd half, and I know you let the refs miss a pass interference call on Bell, and I know you allowed the game to be a home game, and I know you got Zeke healed up after a hospital visit, and I know you helped generate excitement and enthusiasm via Game Day being on campus, and I know you made Sparty wear ugly helmets, and I know you set this game up for Senior Day, but .... can you help us one more time and let Sparty miss a field goal?  I'll do anything football gods.  ANYTHING!  I promise! I won't ask for anything ever again (or at least not until next week).  Please, football gods, please!

Nothing like being ignored by the football gods in my time of need to lead me right to.......

4. DEPRESSION.

The 2015 version of the Ohio State Buckeyes had everything in front of them.  There was a chance to play for a B1G title and likely go to the playoffs.  There was a chance to repeat as champions, a feat reserved for only the elite of the elite.  Zeke had a strong case for a Heisman trophy.  This team had a chance to go down as perhaps the most important / memorable team in Ohio State football history.

All that came crashing down Saturday night.  I realize there's still that outside chance for things to fall our way, but it's a looooooooooong shot.  More than that though, watching the game (and the post-game comments) led me to believe that this team isn't the cohesive football machine fueled by family values that we all wanted it to be.  Speaking for myself, I know I created this Utopian fiction surrounding our football program, as if the team was going to go infinity and 0, never play a bad game, graduate every player, have no one get in trouble, have everyone speak as if they're 40 year old businessmen, and every other unrealistic thing you want to attach to a group of 18-22 year old men kids. Seeing all that unravel on Saturday evening was depressing - there's no other way to say it.  

Of course, in reality, there's no reason to stay bogged down over a football game.  It's time to move on to.....

5.  ACCEPTANCE.

It's just football.  We got to go on one of the most improbable championship runs of all time last year.  We're not going to repeat as champions - the 2015 Buckeyes aren't the 2014 Buckeyes - I accept that.  And isn't that really what it boils down to?  We're not going to repeat as champions.  That's the underlying gripe from our fan base that informs all other gripes.  In my lifetime, that feat has only been accomplished 3 times (Nebraska, USC, Alabama), so it's not as if it's happening all that often.  It may never happen in Columbus, and I'm quire sure I'll survive.

If Urban wants to juggle the responsibilities of Tim Beck and Ed Warriner to come up with a better version of our offense going forward then great.  If he wants to ship people out of town then that's great too.  Urban has built up an awful lot of trust and credibility over the years, including both his times away and his time here.  Think of all the teams who'd love to have #BuckeyeProblems right now. 

At the end of the day, I'm just a fan of a football team, a football team that has accomplished as much as anyone in the country during the Urban Meyer era...and this season isn't even over yet.  It's time to move on from this loss and get up for Xichigan Week.

May the Buckeyes win; and may Jim Harbaugh provide us with internet gold from the sidelines all afternoon.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving this week everyone.  I know I have a lot to be thankful for, even if my favorite football team doesn't do what I tell it to do from my couch.

TL;DR: no "on" switch; 5 stages of grief; Happy Thanksgiving; Beat Blue.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 257 Comments