Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

"Grind - Lite" Motivations?

0 HS
Idaho Helga's picture
June 25, 2015 at 12:50am
27 Comments

It's the off season.  Picking a QB is at least many weeks away, so what to talk about, except shirtless whatever in AA. No politics (Mary Jane)  or God forbid the weather (it's hot everywhere) so here's an athletic(?) discussion in our OWN 11W community.

We've had articles on what our favorite Buckeyes are GRINDing.  I'm 53, and every day is a damn grind-lite, especially since in the last 2 years I've rediscovered what a gym looks like and hey, my legs, dang I can wear shorts again, on legs which previously looked like they should be supporting a pool table, not me.

It wasn't fun, particularly in the beginning so out of shape. My story was 1) a trip to see my best friends, who I was avoiding as none had ever seen me as fat (up around 45#) and 2) I was avoiding mirrors  and barely skating through the annual diabetes test. I knew next year would not go well, this scared me. 3) Dammit, I was fat and didn't like it.

Joined a gym, got a trainer, I did not over think it,  I just did as told.   I don't like controlling people, like to set my own path but I didn't there,  just "yes ma'am" (I imagined Coombs calling me just a kicker!)   Early sessions I thought were brutal but I hung in there (she was 30, I didn't think she understood my fat old body) now down 30# and have kept it off over a year. 

My new attitude.   I have my motivations/procedures to keep me doing my "Grinding lite" daily.  Yours?

+++ Skip to comments now if you work out/in shape or hate advice,yes I DO understand +++

MIne: 1)  Every day you can come up with an excuse  not to work out. DO NOT OVER THINK GOING TO THE GYM.  Don't think about it. Have I mentioned just GO? In the am, you just make plans to be exercising at wherever for a time.  Get over thinking this is selfish of you if you  have kids (you  deserve to have 45 minutes to keep you healthy) and you deserve to live to enjoy Grandkids.

2) Did not over think the workout the trainer laid out. Just did as told. Tell yourself "Its only a hour, I can leave in an hour."

3) Take 1-2 days off at least, but  you must work out at least 3-4 days a week, even if you are just riding a bike/jogging, yard work.  It's good for your soul as well as the body.

Share with us your positive motivations.  What makes you move?  Why do you have a regular schedule, or why not but are in decent shape?  Upvotes from me from anybody over 40, say Ov40 in your response.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments