Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Why Did You Wear That Number?

0 HS
Habu71's picture
March 3, 2015 at 2:30pm
119 Comments

In your athletic career there was a number that you preferred. Who or what did that number represent? Was it a former Buckeye, or maybe the day of the month that you were born? Maybe it was some other idea or expression that meant something to you. 
Did you keep it your entire athletic career, did you carry it over from one sport to another?
For me it differed by sport, I wore the number of a player I wanted to emulate when I played and it was always a player in the pros. I didn't pick the most popular players, just the one who's game or style I believed was like mine. In football it was 21 because of Terry Metcalf. In baseball it was 24 because of Tony Perez. In basketball it was number 1 because of Gus Williams, if 1 wasn't available then it would be 10 for Maurice Cheeks.  
If my favorite number wasn't available for that sport, I'd go with one of the others I mentioned, but I had to wear either 1, 10, 21 or 24. Then did you add something else that was just your style? Like wrist bands or a bandana? Was there something that you had to have on or with you, that you felt as though you couldn't perform well without?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 119 Comments