Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

What makes you laugh?

0 HS
RubixTube's picture
February 24, 2015 at 3:09pm
100 Comments

The offseason seems like such a great time to break out these list threads.  A discussion at work lead me to start thinking about comedy and some of the funniest people I've had the fortune to see live.  For what it's worth, these are some of my favorites:

1.  Robert Schimmel - I first saw Schimmel on an HBO special (Unprotected) during a free preview weekend.  Mostly crude and not for those easily offended, but I found him hilarious.  I saw him at the Funny Bone shortly after Unprotected made its debut and was sad to hear of his passing in 2010.

2.  Kevin Pollak - I caught him at the Funny Bone one weekend after hearing him on Bob & Tom (when we still had Bob & Tom in Cbus).  I knew he did Walken incredibly well, but some of his other impersonations had me rolling.  Which leads me to...

3.  Frank Caliendo - Saw him when he was still starting out, his Madden was so dead on (and it hadn't been done to death).  I still laugh out loud when he guests on Mike & Mike.

4.  Eddie Izzard - Saw his Dress To Kill special on HBO one night, now own all but one of his stand-ups on DVD.  If you can get past the whole 'bloke dressed up like a lady' thing, his takes on religion (Church of England) and Star Wars are quite funny.

Honorable Mention (didn't see them live)

George Carlin - I got hooked on his comedy at an early age....I was probably 7 or 8 years old when I 'stole' my dad's old cassette titled "Toledo Window Box".  Most of the jokes went over my head at the time, but I played that tape until it literally snapped in two and still remember a lot of the jokes.

Dave Chappelle - I had a chance to see him at Funny Bone shortly before he left Chappelle's Show but, for reasons that escape me now, didn't go.  Loved Killing Them Softly and the follow up For What Its Worth.

Anyone else?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 100 Comments