Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Tatum 1.02 Release Notes

Jason Priestas's picture
February 22, 2014 at 3:18am
61 Comments

A bunch of small things and a couple of medium-sized things:

• Unread comments are shown on the front page for articles (see screenshot below). We still need to roll this into the three featured articles at the top of the page (and figure out something for Buckshots and the poll).
  • The mobile user menu is finally visible and working (see screenshot below).
  • Fixed bug with downvote locking. Voting is now locked when a comment reaches -10, instead of -25.
  • The site contact form now works.
  • Front page article count changed from 15 to 11. Because 11 is a cool number and because it will help with load times.
  • Removed background image from mobile breakpoints (views). Because it's never seen and every little kb helps.
  • Changed the default sort order in the forums to sort by most recent comment.
  • Reduced font size for comments (and signatures).
  • Changed user avi for comments to 45x45 instead of just scaling down the 250x250 version (should help a little with load times).
  • Fixed the weird gap below the footer. IT GONE.
  • Changed most commented block to pull stuff from the last 24 hours instead of the previous three days.
  • Removed extra, unneeded fields from RSS feed.
  • Fixed 404 errors for Apple touch icons linked from pages other than the front page.
  • Fixed the Twitter content security policy warning for embedded tweets.
  • Backend: Fix for duplicate posts to Buffer.

We currently have 31 open issues in the queue and we're working through them as quickly as we can. Included in this list are big ones, like the sluggish scrolling on mobile Safari (rest assured, that's driving us nuts, too).

As always, thanks for your patience while we tidy things up.

Unread comments FTW:

Unread comments FTW!

Hey, it's a working user menu on mobile!

A working user menu on mobile (finally).
harleymanjax's picture

"Because I couldn't go for 3"

+13 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That's it - I'm moving to Toronto.

+1 HS
causeicouldntgo43's picture

Rob Ford is my favorite Canadian politician. Any way we can swap out Beiber for him and let Ford preside over, say, I don't know, NYC? 

DJ Byrnes's picture

Favorite Canadian politician? Bud, there's not a finer politician in all of North America, maybe even the world.

Rob Ford for King of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

buckguyfan1's picture

Just like after a couple of beers... She's starting to look better;)

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Despite drunkenly making some incredible breakfast burritos, this may be the best part of my night. You guys rock, Tatum is awesome, and Michigan still sucks.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

All you guys had to do was spit on it a little bit and wipe the Channing off of it.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

BeijingBucks's picture

Jason, you should now pause and do the requisite Tebow... no GIF necessary we can use our imaginations

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Urban Meyer is a member? What about Tressel, and Coop?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

TMac's picture

11 is the perfect number for front page articles! Funny to think it could have ever been any other number!

Excellent work, as always!!

+3 HS
buckeye_heart's picture

Nice work Jason keep it up. The site is looking better everyday.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Kudos for listening to the feedback from the end users.

gumtape's picture

Great now we can have the forum topic "Bucksfan changing avi".

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Appreciate it Jason. Thanks for all the help with my account too!

Earle's picture

I really miss the old Tatum.

Italics are for emphasis; an ellipsis represents an unfinished thought.

+8 HS
Crimson's picture

I don't know if this was there with the previous release or not, but there should be a minimum box size. (W7, IE10 and FF27)

Help!  I'm cut off!

This is a great upgrade, especially the front page.

Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. We'll take a look at that.

Hovenaut's picture

It's about that time, the site survives and advances.

Appreciate all the hard work.

"Success - it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

45OH4IO's picture

Must.....find....something.....to complain.....about

My coffee is cold and the new site can't warm it up for me!!

+2 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

So once a comment reaches -10 helmet stickers it can't be voted on anymore? And am I the only one now seeing the vote arrows appear below a member's icon and comment instead of to the right of the comment?

Jason Priestas's picture

Yes. Once a comment receives a score of -10 it's locked. The thinking here is that -10 is probably a pretty terrible comment, so no amount of upvotes will save it.

What browser and operating system are you using to where you're seeing the vote arrows below member avis?

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Thrilled with all the changes. Now all we need is to bring back grey boxes, and rock out the black stripe idea for site nubes and then sit back and bask in the gloriousness that is this site! Thank you for all your hard work

+3 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Both are on the list.

Earle's picture

Just an observation: the user icons are downsized, but the default "Buckeye-head man" avis are still gigantic (guessing this is only on mobile). But you've probably already noticed. It's kinda hard to miss.

Jason Priestas's picture

The default avis are still 250x250, but should be scaled to 45x45. Are you not seeing that?

Earle's picture

Not with Opera Mini. Not sure if many others use it. I find it works best on my stone age device.

BHT's picture

You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next updates.

I have a question: if voting on a post is locked at -10, does that mean we cannot upvote the post?

Jason Priestas's picture

Yep. Once it's locked, it's locked. See my comment above about this.

BuckGnome's picture

Jason and 11w Staff:  Thanks for all your continued work and dedication to the site and the wonderful 11W community..  Excellent job with the new tweaks already, and I can't wait how things progress as thing move forward.  The new touches improve the front page, and your "to do" list looks promising.

Thanks again!

RoyMunson's picture

Thank you for making the font smaller, but everything is still too big/spread out.

I shrink my screen down on Chrome to 75-85% so that I don't have to pan my vision across the entire screen. I am sure you intentionally did this, but I preferred the spacing of the old website.

Jason Priestas's picture

What browser and OS are you using?

Alpo's picture

Thanks for all the hard work Jason and staff, this truly is the best buckeye site on the net and only continues to get better.

Just a heads up though Jason- the user menu isn't working on my iPad. It appears for a quick second and then closes almost immediately.

Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. We'll take a look.

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I have one quick clarification question. the "most commented" block is still "most commented" and not recently commented, just over a span of one day instead of three? So if I were to want to bump a thread, it would shoot to the top of the forum, but it would still not show up I that block, correct? At least not until it received more comments again right?

Jason Priestas's picture

Correct. We're looking at options for thread bumping.

buckguyfan1's picture

What about a comment of the week award voted on by the staff. Can't do a thread as it would produce too many garbage original posts. Sometimes I read a comment and I think, that one is worthy of 11w recognition beyond up votes. 

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Much like we hide bad comments, we are looking into ways to highlight comments that have been upvoted.

buckguyfan1's picture

Great! The staff's input and articles are almost always top notch and very informative, but I am often impressed by many of the member's knowledge, creative thoughts, and humor as well.  It might be cool to have it as a "11w Top 10 of the Week".  Jason, I appreciate your work and the unique brilliance of this site.  Too bad Birm is  a slacker.

PAWEST1202's picture

thanks for the updates. I just tried to open the menu on my mobile device and it pops up and immediately goes away. Also the 11w banner/toolbar seems to be stuck in the middle of my screen. I can click it to navigate but it's no longer staying with the top of the page

(Device: Ipad iOS 7)

Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. We're working on a fix for that.

almurray10's picture

Thanks for the continued hard work, Jason.

For what it's worth, I have the same mobile scrolling issue when using chrome on my iPhone.

Mush's picture

While on my desktop I can click on the top black subject bar and the scholarships, rosters, etc. appears. This feature does not seem to work on mobile devices. Thanks for reviewing/replying.  

AndyVance's picture

One thing that I know has been mentioned elsewhere, but would really be a nice perk for the so-called "power users" among us, is seeing the tally of each post's upvotes/downvotes in the user account interface. I can see the number of replies there, but I can't tell if a given post is getting any other feedback.

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Yeah, that way I can go check what got me an extra few points since my last visit. It's nice to know. I think reply has been nice because it's usually the same, but I can go see what conversation has been stirred by my comments and then go rebuttal or pick the conversation up where the last person left it off.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I think I remember reading that that was being considered.  I think it's a great idea.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Nice work - it's truly appreciated that all this effort is being made. I have a question/request...can you bring back the football & basketball schedules? I loved that & checked it fairly often. If this has already been requested, my apologies & thanks again.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Earle's picture

If you hover over "Football" or "Basketball" in the title bar, the link to the current year schedule appears on the right-hand side of the page.

Poison nuts's picture

Earle - thanks so much for the info. I'm on this site mainly on an I-pad & didn't even realize this was there. I thought it was strange that they didn't have the schedules - but they do. Anyway - I just logged on an actual computer & got right to the schedule. While I'm sure this was already covered - I missed it completely - so thanks again!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

CALPOPPY's picture

Yeah, just realized I am unable to do this on iPad or iPhone. You can't "hover" over the area. So I actually am unable to get to the schedule unless I'm on my computer. I even tried searching the site and it was unable to take me there.

Am I missing something? If not, I'll put it on the bug list.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Poison nuts's picture

No, I don't think your missing anything, I can't get to it on my I-pad either. Like you, I tried to search before I typed that comment & couldn't find it that way either. So while I know where it's at now & how to get there - it would be cool if I could get there while on mobile...

Edit: this may be one of the things that is already being worked on, but still worth mentioning.

Earle's picture

Did you try keeping your finger on the "Football" until it popped up?  That seemed to work on the user menu.

Poison nuts's picture

Yeah - tried it - but for me it pops up for a split second then disappears quickly. Haven't been able to get it to stay on-screen long enough to click on it. Don't know if it's a general mobile thing or related to the specific issues with mobile Safari...

Crimson's picture

Safari is one of the programs they have said has more problems.  You might have better luck with a different browser until Tatum 1.03.

Poison nuts's picture

Do you (or anyone here) know if there's a different browser that works for IPad other than Safari? I did some research & I found that there are other browsers for IPhone & Ipad sort of, but technically they aren't true browsers. They are programs that 'wrap' around the Safari browser & can do a few things to enhance how the browser works, but they are still using Safari. All those programs/browsers have pretty mixed reviews....

If anyone has any input on this subject, or something specific they have found that works best with Apple mobile devices, I'm happy to try, but I'm hesitant to try something unless someone has already had success with it. I would be doing it strictly for my 11W viewing at this point. I do use Firefox for my browser when I'm on my actual computer & it works great, but that computer is located in my office which is separate from my home, so that's why I'm usually on here via mobile...

Jagon1119's picture

Poison I use an ipad as well and don't really have any issues if I use it in landscape orientation and scroll in the right hand margin.  The only other issue I have is getting to my profile and I solve that by pressing and holding on my avatar at the top and then hitting open in new window.

CALPOPPY's picture

Poison, I have used Atomic Browser on the iPad and iPhone and it works well. On the iPad, this app works well as you have the option to not physically flick the pay to scroll but have small up down arrows. This avoids the lag issue the new site has had on mobile. In landscape mode (in Atomic or Safari) you can easily scroll if you flick the screen off to the right of the comments.

I have the paid version and can't remember how much it cost, but I think it's $1.99.

Other friends at work really like Dolphin browser, which is free.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Poison nuts's picture

I have no issues with scrolling anymore & always view in landscape. My problem is getting the schedules to come up or getting the football or basketball drop downs to stay on the page long enough to click on it. Other than that, I'm not having too many issues with Safari or IPad anymore. But not being able to get to that drop down is a big deal for me. Does Atomic help with that?

edit: never mind that last question - I see below it doesn't help. I'll just wait til they get things sorted out, which I'm sure they will eventually.

CALPOPPY's picture

Earle, I did try keeping my finger on Football or Basketball, but that only allows me to open the Football or Basketball page. And I did not think that the schedules are actually on those pages, but rather in the drop down for those pages. As I am unable to access the drop down from the iPad/iPhone, I cannot access the schedule.

I can get the user menu to drop down, but one click on the Football/Basketball tabs take you straight to the pages.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Jagon1119's picture

Jason I do have a question/suggestion can you try to figure out a way for the links to the schedules and scholarship grids show up on mobile devices.  I do almost all my browsing on my ipad and don't seem to have the issues some others do but that is one thing I miss.  Other than that keep up the good work!