Here's a cool fact: the first draft of this story was saved on 12/20. We had heard Wilson was coming to Ohio State in a QC position and when the Crimson Quarry report surfaced today, we saw it, but weren't comfortable running with it yet. For starters, as Eric pointed out, they're not exactly known for breaking news. SBN sites, in general, do not have boots on the ground covering programs. Their tweet also said "sources" while their story said "source." Oh, and Ohio State would be overstaffed with the addition of Wilson, so while we knew something was happening, we weren't comfortable running with it yet.
Feldman is much more connected than most, so when he went with it, we felt comfortable reporting it.
As to why the other site published it, well, they publish a lot of things that we don't think are necessary to publish. For example:
– 3 Big Ten teams make FOX Sports’ New Year’s Six bowl projections
– ESPN’s ‘Heismanology’ poll: Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers up to No. 2
– Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman names Top 5 Heisman Trophy candidates for Week 4
– No. 2 Ohio State at Michigan State: Game time, TV channel and how to watch online
– College Football Playoff update: ESPN’s Mark Schlabach has both Michigan, Ohio State
– Fox Sports analysts pick Ohio State to handily defeat Wisconsin Saturday
– LOOK: An Ohio State coach’s son got a giant Ezekiel Elliot Fathead for Christmas
We have a different mindset in that regard and are a bit more selective about what we publish. We're trying not to be a content farm.
Finally, the word "broke." I don't think it means what you think it means.