Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

What should the Cavs do in this year's draft?

Silver Bullet 10's picture
June 23, 2014 at 1:23pm
26 Comments

Personally, I think they should take Jabari Parker. He and Wiggins are the two superstar prospects in this draft. The drop-off from the second overall pick to the third overall pick is incredibly steep with Embiid's injury. I wouldn't trade it to Philly unless they throw the kitchen sink at us, meaning #3, #10, Noel, MCW and a future first rounder. In short, I don't think Philly has enough assets (or valuable enough assets) to acquire Parker or Wiggins from us.  

BassDropper's picture

theres like 4 threads on this already, but Wiggins

DIRECTIONER

mh277907's picture

Take Wiggins and move to Columbus

(JK Cleveland)

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Yes!  Excepting the move. But funny that.

Go Bucks!

Earle's picture

Let's just hope they don't out-think themselves (again) and come up with something/someone nobody is expecting (see:  Bennett, Anthony; Waiters, Dion; Thompson, Tristan).

I think they have a history of out-of-the-box thinking that hasn't always served them well.  Sometimes inside the box is a good place to be.

I'll refrain from adding David Blatt to the list until I see what he ends up doing with the team.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

If you think what the Cavaliers could have gotten in those three draft it's down right disgusting. Great pick in Kyrie Irving, but instead of Tristan Thompson, could have gotten Klay Thompson and had the best young backcourt combo in the NBA. Next year with Dion Waiters, could have drafted Andre Drummond, plus instead of trading up for Tyler Zeller, they could have drafted Jared Sullinger or Terrance Jones. With those moves alone the team would have looked like this... (PG) Kyrie Irving, (SG) Klay Thompson, (PF) Jared Sullinger or Terrance Jones, and (C) Andre Drummond. Now, this is going by the idea the Cavaliers would have had similar results, which can't be proven, plus hindsight is 20/20. What could have possibly been...

d1145fresh's picture

I have a feeling it is going to be Parker although I think I like Wiggins more. Parker seems more NBA ready but I think Wiggins will be better in the long run. Best option would be to trade down with Philly but I don't know how much Philly would be able to give up.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I think they should take Aaron Craft #1 overall!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

If they take Wiggins then they basically are telling everyone they don't want LeBron back.  So go with Parker, go after LeBron.  If they don't get LBJ it won't be the worst thing to happen.

-1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

This makes zero sense. Wiggins can play the two as well as the three. He could slide to SG and fit in perfectly as an off ball player between Kryie and LBJ. Parker is a SF and unless you expect him to play as an undersized PF, that where he's going to stay. I think you have it backwards, drafting Parker would say we dont have a chance at LeBron (which I really think we dont) but I digress. I know LeBron can play anywhere from PG to C in the NBA because he's a freak, but hes a SF first, so if the grand plan is to bring him back, you dont go drafting another SF.

+2 HS

Wiggins can play the 2 or 3, and Parker can play the 3 or 4. LeBron can play the 1, 2, 3 or 4. Lots of flexibility.

+1 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

What?? Wiggins is 6-8 and like 200 pounds while Parker is 6-8 250. Parker is an obvious 3 while Wiggins can play the 2 or 3. Also, LeBron essentially played the 4 for Miami a lot of the time so I don't think he really matters all that much for either guy. Take the player that you think will best help your team. I think it's Wiggins (especially after Parker reportedly tanked Cavs workout intentionally), but as long as they don't take some guy out of left field I'll be happy. 

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

win more games.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I like both Wiggins and Parker, and I think they will both be studs in the league. It will take Wiggins a year or two longer, but I firmly believe he will be every bit as good, if not better. What separates the two for me is defense. Wiggins has the potential to be a more athletic version of Kawhi Leonard on the defensive side of the ball, which is crazy to even think about. Parker has the potential to protect the basket about as well as a screen door on a submarine... This is the biggest reason to draft Wiggins over Parker. The other reason would be fit for the team. Kyrie is a very ball dominate player, this is why he and Waiters cant play together. They are too similar. Wiggins does most of his damage as an off ball player, cutting to the hoop, playing off screens and crushing it on fast breaks, he would mesh perfectly with Kyrie. Parker on the other hand is like waiters. He needs the ball in his hands a lot and scores off of a lot of isolation style situations. I fear that Kyrie/Parker would run into a lot of the same problems as Kyrie/Waiters. I think it has to be Wiggins all the way.

Optimal Situation:

- Draft Wiggins #1

- Trade Dion and maybe a future pick to move into the 9-12 range and draft Nik Stauskes or Gary Harris, two great shooters and good off ball players

- Sign a big time SF in free agency. LeBron isnt walking through that door, but Trevor Ariza or Gordan Hayward might. We can start Wiggins at the less demanding SG spot for his first few years, and he can slide to the SF spot when our shooter comes into the game.

- Sign a rim protecting center. Gortat would be a good addition and I wouldn't mind Hawes coming back, but what I really would like to see is a trade pursued for Roy Hibbert. Dude has worn out his welcome in Indy and need a change of scenery, but he's only a year removed from an allstar appearance. Something like Andy, Jack and an unprotected first could likely pry him away.

Starting Lineup: Kyrie, Wiggins, Hayward, Thompson, Hibbert 

Bench: Delavadova, Stauskes, Miles, Gee, Bennett, Zeller with room for two more.

+1 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

Draft Wiggins. Sign LeBron and Hawes or, if LeBron won't come, Chandler Parsons and Hawes. Parsons a good player and Houston cannot afford to sign him to a relatively large offer sheet. 

niblick's picture

trade every current player not named Kyrie Irving for a new GM

OSU069's picture

New owner. Then we might get Lebron.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

So happy with the Blatt hire - his footprint should be all over this pick

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Agreed.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS

Don't laugh, but I think Anthony Bennett will end up being the best player in his draft class under Blatt. So much potential.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

Take Jabari and be renamed Cleveland Blue Devils. Would have Deng, Irving and Jabari

In all seriousness I would take Wiggins as he has the most upside.

PittBuckeye's picture

Trade the pick to the sixers and take Embiid. I'm a fan of taking the best player in the draft 5 years from now, and I think that's Embiid.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You may not be far off - thought about that as well.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

PG-Kyrie/Jack (Kyrie would prob be more of a shooting guard when LBJ is on the court)

SG-Wiggins/Waiters

SF-Lebron/Bennett (not giving up on AB, he was hurt all of last season and had Mike Brown teaching him how to play offense)

PF-Carmelo/Thompson (Lebron would play here also)

C-Hawes??? Zeller??? Varejao??? Need that big name guy, but this is solid depth at the spot.

This team would be >>>>> than the Big3

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

(not giving up on AB, he was hurt all of last season and had Mike Brown teaching him how to play offense)

This whole giving up on players after 1-2 years has become really annoying.

This team would be >>>>> than the Big3

Until they lose. Then it would be another year of hearing how LeBron had no help. -_-

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

OSU069's picture

How could the Cavs afford 3 max players as well as the number 1 pick and have any cap space to sign role players?

BassDropper's picture

Cavs have a lot of money to play with. 

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS