Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Rank 'Em (2014 NBA Draft Edition)

Silver Bullet 10's picture
May 24, 2014 at 7:09pm
16 Comments

1. Jabari Parker - I think he is the most NBA ready prospect in the draft. He's the best offensive prospect, has a high basketball IQ, and has great size. I think he has the potential to be this draft's only superstar. I can definitely see Parker as a 30-10-5 type of player. He must work on his defense, nonetheless.

2. Andrew Wiggins - This is the prospect with the greatest upside. Wiggins is a super elite athlete and a lockdown defender. He's very capable offensively as well, but he can be passive at times. He didn't possess a superstar mentality at Kansas, unlike Parker at Duke. That's not to say that he wouldn't in the pros. That said, I think Parker is more likely to be an NBA superstar. Nonetheless, I see Wiggins as a possible 20-5-5 player who will add a few steals and blocks as he locks down his man on defense. He will be a great wing man and all star, but maybe not a superstar.

3. Joel Embiid - If I was the Cavs, I wouldn't touch Embiid. He has Greg Oden written all over him. Not worth the risk if you have the top pick. A healthy Joel Embiid could be a fantastic NBA player. He possesses a polished post game, is mobile for a big man, is good defensively, and he has a lot of upside. He could develop into an all-star at center, or he could be a bust due to injuries. 

teddyballgame's picture

embiid, parker, wiggins

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

30-10-5? Pretty lofty expectations I must say. I think Wiggins is the pick and you mentioned why. Very good defender that also can score from anywhere and anyway. Think Parker is going to be great too and it will be interesting to follow both their careers and compare and contrast. Embiid is too much of a crap shoot for me as he could develop into anything from Hakeem to Oden. Not worth this risk.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS

Not averages, but i can see him netting that every so often.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Hakeem

One of the 5 greatest centers ever? Haha.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Oh yea I can definitely see him hitting marks higher then that every so often. Kid is talented and has a year under coach K who is one of the best in the biz.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

1. Wiggins

2. Embiid

3. Parker

safest pick: Parker

Riskiest pick: Embiid

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Embiid or Wiggins

Parker

I've done a lot of research on Embiid, wow can he play. If he checks out health wise, he is easily the guy to take. Silky jumper. Athleticism of a 6'7 kid. Quick. Defense. He could be a hall of famer.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

The scary thing is he's that good having only played basketball for about 2 weeks in his whole life.

+2 HS
Danify's picture

1. Parker - High basketball IQ, Fantastic body size (6'8" | 240), Polished, Able to play SF or PF, Must learn better defense, but his unselfish and shooting ability make up for it. Reminds me of Paul Pierce.

2. Wiggins - Great defender, Outstanding offensive abilities, athletic with the ability to play SG or SF, Insane Superstar potential. Reminds me of Rudy Gay.

3. Randle - Skilled face-up game, excellent pick and pop, high motor, great finish around the rim, concerns with length (under 7'0" wingspan, likely an double-double machine. Reminds me of David Lee. 

4. Embiid - Length, Offensive potential, athleticism, Rebounding ability, Able to play PF or C. Highest boom or bust potential with injury history involved with back (key reason he is 4th). At best he reminds me of Akeem Olajuwon or at worst Saw Bowie...

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Randle is way to high at 3, doesn't have the size or the game to be there.

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Wiggins, Embiid, Parker if we're talking ceiling's.

Parker, Wiggins, Embiid if we're talking game right now.

+1 HS

Sounds about right. Im not sure Wiggins or Embiid will reach their ceilings though.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

1. Jabari Parker - If he's not a perennial all-star, i'll be shocked.

2. Joel Embiid- Like him, but it's hard to peg what he's going to be.

3. Andrew Wiggins- I don't love him the way everyone else does.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Seattle Linga's picture

I think we will be safe with any of top three but I wouldn't look past getting K-Love for the pick either 

+1 HS
ohhiyo's picture

i just don't buy the wiggins hype. been way too inconsistent all year especially during some of their bigger games.

Parker can drive and takeover games with his size and outside shot but ceiling isnt as high as embiid and wiggins but a solid player here.

Embiid is a beast down low and even with the injuries, the cavs don't have that dominant big man.

kyrie, waiters, embiid, thompson, bennett, varejao, hopefully karasev becomes something other than pavlovic

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Cavs should get Embiid if they're going to make a run at LeBron.  They have waiters at the 2, and thats what position Wiggins plays.  If Embiid checks out medically, definitively go for him.

Buckeye fan from PA